Author Topic: Running too rich...  (Read 4162 times)

Offline land-warrior.rus

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://landwarrior.dynserv.net
Running too rich...
« on: December 18, 2006, 03:59:26 PM »
After the last service the bike was running good as never before, but lately one ay after another got harder and harder to start it , when one day she just gave up on me. After trying to push start for about 30 min(had to get home some how) she finaly fired up. No way she would idle, thought just needed some time to warm up, but then i realised that the first cilinder was not fireing.Got home on three cilinders(there was no fun in that!!!). Today pulled all the spark plugs and they are all black like coal. New spark plugs went in just couple of month ago. So she is running rich.
Dont know what size main jets im running yet, but could i just drill some holes in the air box to leen it out a bit?
Cheers.
We work to live not live to work!!!

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Running too rich...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 10:33:57 PM »
pull that snorkel out!
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Running too rich...
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 11:06:04 PM »
I disagree.  If you poke a couple holes in the box and don't like it, you can just tape over it.  I don't think trying to put the snorkle back in would be a lot of fun (if you can get it out w/out trashing it.  

BTW, you should really try to figure out where in the revs you're rich.  If your scews are too fat, messin' around with the air box ain't gonna help much.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Running too rich...
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 11:08:07 PM »
If it was running good before, you should return it to that state and find out what's wrong while doing so. I'd clean the carbs and I would take a good look at the pilot system of cylinder #1.

Offline land-warrior.rus

• Board Homesteader!
Running too rich...
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 06:00:25 AM »
Thanks lads. I'll be pulling carbs out very soon, got a carb kit from Jay should be arriving soon now. Once i get that done will see where i'm standing. How do you check at what rpms you are running rich or lean? And whats a snorkle? Cheers.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Running too rich...
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 07:43:46 AM »
doesnt the b4 have a rubber snorkle where the air comes into the air box? that should just push out of it like most air boxes? I could be wrong a snorkle is a air inlet some bike companies restrict the air flow to the air box with them? naimly most dirtbike and 4 wheelers! I just thoought without modifying the air box you could take it out and put it back in if it didnt work! How are the pilot jet plugs all there? they run extremly rich if these are gone.
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline land-warrior.rus

• Board Homesteader!
Running too rich...
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 08:23:59 AM »
Cant remember what kind of air box i save but when its out will check if it has a snorkle. Since got the bike never took the carbs apart so have no idea what the condition they r in. Cant wait to get the kit and see if that fixes some issues. Yesterday tryed to start it but no such luck. Thanks for the input guys. The pilot jets are the smaller once right? Cheers

Offline Dragon888

• TURBO TYPER!
Running too rich...
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 09:16:44 PM »
Also experiencing I tihnk rich running./ Someone in this thread stated that if you take the filter out and it runs better then your rich in the mixtures, I removed the filter on mine and it runs much better. But to my confusion, Im only running with a 75 main jet and jet positions are on the 2nd groove from the top, that means I made the mids leaner and lowered the needle. What else could I look into to get the proper mix?

Offline land-warrior.rus

• Board Homesteader!
Running too rich...
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 06:11:44 PM »
Hey Jay, got your carb kit and manual chain tentioner today.
Thanks very much. Next week will pull the carbs out and wil try to get everrything tip top.
Cheers again. I apreciated. If you ever need anything from EU, UK ,Ireland just let me know.
Cheers.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Running too rich...
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 09:44:42 PM »
cheers

Offline land-warrior.rus

• Board Homesteader!
Running too rich...
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 04:00:49 PM »
Just after changing capacitors in CDI, and oh ...my...god....what a difference!!!
The bike fired up from les then 1/4 of a crank.
Highly recomend everyone. 1/2 hour work and you might be able to c some differnce...
Cheers for the FAQ...