Author Topic: Carb trouble... I tried a lot and read everything I could!  (Read 2519 times)

Offline sirdarkheart

• Board Homesteader!
Carb trouble... I tried a lot and read everything I could!
« on: August 02, 2006, 05:28:47 PM »
Hey all,
    I recently had my carbs worked on by someone back in June b/c I was having mid-range difficulties at full throttle. SO after I got them back, I have been having idle-seeking symptoms when I blip my throttle in neutral. I just synched my carbs b/c I thought that should solve the problem. THat didn't work. The idle was so goddamn jumpy that it was hard to synch the carbs in the first place, but after multiple attempts I finally synched the carbs as accurately as possible. The idle still seeks for 4-10 seconds when I blip the throttle in neutral just like before I synched the carbs. I read on the factorypro website that idle seeking is a symptom of lean jetting. So they recommended turning the A/F screws out half a turn on each carb and trying it again. Well when I had my carbs serviced, the A/F screws were all turned out 2.5 out. I turned them all another full turn to 3.5 out. I know this is getting close to full out, so I started to worry. Could it be that it is a float problem? They were supposed to be reset to the stock float height. It just seems like there is something wrong with the floats, b/c when I blip the throttle the time it takes for the idle to come back just sounds like a float problem. Any help would be appreciated.

SO I got
-an unknown jet kit
-100 Mains
-A/F screws 3.5 out
-needle clip position is in the middle

:thanks:  :thanks:  :thanks:

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 05:40:17 PM »
3.5 turns out and you're running lean? Got an air filter in that thing? Is your air filter oiled?
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline sirdarkheart

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 05:56:14 PM »
Yeah... I have an air filter in it and it is oiled. When I bought the bike in May it had a full tune up done to it. The idle seeking just boggles me and kind of worries me. Plus I just can't get the idle to stabilize it is jumpy.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 06:16:27 PM »
what do you mean by seeks? idles high then comes down? Def not a float problem. lean your needle clip (move the clip one position up) turn fuel screws back to 2.5 turns. what are you using for carb sticks?(carb sync tool)
cheers
Jay
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline sirdarkheart

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 09:26:30 PM »
Ah... I should clarify. By idle seeking I mean that after blipping the throttle, the idle takes awhile to come down to the set position. I am actually using the homemade tool using nylon tubing, a meter stick, and 2-stroke motor oil. I will try your suggestions: turn back to 2.5, maybe turn in a little more, and then clip height.
Thank you,
D

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 10:29:57 PM »
RICH OR LEAN DO THE SAME IT IS VEREY HARD TO DETERMIN WHICH IS WHICH OTHER THAN LOOKING AT YOUR PLUGS, BUT I THINK YOU ARE RICH. SORRY FOR THE CAPS TO LAZY! :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline sirdarkheart

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 04:06:07 AM »
Quote from: gsxr400 racer
RICH OR LEAN DO THE SAME IT IS VEREY HARD TO DETERMIN WHICH IS WHICH OTHER THAN LOOKING AT YOUR PLUGS, BUT I THINK YOU ARE RICH. SORRY FOR THE CAPS TO LAZY! :beers:

Now that is knowledge you can't buy  :thanks: Jbird  :motorsmile: