Author Topic: My dream bike. Yeah right.  (Read 4037 times)

Offline raincheck_uk

• TURBO TYPER!
    • http://becky.stead.fotopic.net
My dream bike. Yeah right.
« on: June 30, 2005, 01:15:49 AM »
I have wanted a bandit since i was 11 years old im now 25 and i finally own one. It was like a dream come true when i went to see it at the shop and it felt even better when it was delivered to my door a week later. The first few months it ran great what a difference from the crappy 125 i had before. Then the problems started. The centre stand was always seizing, then the clutch began to play up, then the tyre got a bit battered by some road shrapnel, then the fork seal went ( quite badley very suddenly) so i took it to the garage and got all this fixed (or so i thought). Its been about 6 weeks since i got it back from the garage. The clutch now has the same problem as before, the horn now beeps when i get to about 8000revs, the front lights have decided to stop working and now i get home from work after and park it up on the drive and there is this real strong smell of petrol so i search around the bike and cant see any thing, but then i notice a little drip and it takes me ages to find where its coming from and guess where? My f***in petrol tank. I cant believe it i really do wish i had of taken the yellow ducati monster 600 instead of this one cos by the time im finished i will have spent just as much having it repaired as i did to buy it. Any one know how much it will cost to fix?? I know it involves the tank coming off and having that stuff put inside. Any way off to bed now to cry myself to sleep while the love of my life sits bleeding to death on my drive way. :crybaby:
Becky
Becky.

It's too late to stop now.

The beast - 91' black GSF400 Bandit.

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 10:10:52 AM »
Sorry for your bad experience.  However, having both a B4 and a '96 Ducati 900SP, I can say for certain that the Ducati is no less maitanance and the parts cost a lot more.  I got my 900 SP used with 3000 miles on the clock.  I have had to replace the frame due to cracks (Ducati provided the frame, I provided the work), I have had the engine completely disassembled to replace transmission parts that siezed.  I cleaned  the tank, replaced the gas cap assembly US$200 and the normal stuff like tires, carb overhaul, battery, etc. all within the last 2 years.  I am about US$1000 into repairs with me doing the work.

Most everything you described with your B4 is likely a result of the previous owner(s) not performing proper maitanance and storing it outdoors.  Like with my Ducati, the problmes you have are typical of the "risk" you take in buying a used bike over a new one.  

I truly hope you are able to get it all fixed up and are happy with it in the future.

Russ
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 10:21:45 AM »
Sorry Becky,

The leaky gas tank isn't too hard to deal with, although the fixxing process is kind of smelly!

I used a product called Kreem on my gas tank.  SOme people don't like it, claiming it can slough loose later into the gas.  Mine hasn't.
 Has been 3 years now....

The other product that a couple people have used and like is the tank cleaning rust preventative product sold by Yamaha.

:motorsmile:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 10:28:50 AM »
Quote from: "PeteSC"
 I used a product called Kreem on my gas tank.  SOme people don't like it, claiming it can slough loose later into the gas.  Mine hasn't.
 Has been 3 years now....

I have a feeling the people who don't like kreem, probably didn't follow the dirrections properly. Mine's at least 3 years old and still going strong.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 10:33:37 AM »
Where is the gas leaking from your tank? If it's leaking from your fuel tap, it could be as simple as tightening the bolts, or replacing the gasket.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 02:01:31 PM »
Quote from: "PeteSC"
Sorry Becky,

The leaky gas tank isn't too hard to deal with, although the fixxing process is kind of smelly!

Has been 3 years now....

The other product that a couple people have used and like is the tank cleaning rust preventative product sold by Yamaha.

:motorsmile:

I run race fuel and have my tank kreemed but i do drain the fuel and add pump gas after but have had the same kreem for going on 3 years!
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline mtbcrazy

• TURBO TYPER!
    • My 1992 Bandit
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 09:51:45 AM »
Hey Becky,

The Bandit was my dream bike, also!   I wasn't 11 at the time (and am much older than 25 now).  I remember reading the reviews in the Cycle mags (worked at a library, so had lots of magazines to read).  Thought to myself "a 400 that red lines in the TEENS (13,500?), looks sort of like a Ducati and can go over 110 is the bike for me".  14 years later I finally get one!

I wish the US would give up on the LARGE displacement bikes so we could have all the cools bikes they have in Japan.  All we ever want over here is BIGGER BIGGER BIGGER.  Crazy.

Offline raincheck_uk

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2005, 08:49:39 AM »
Well the guy from the garage came and picked the beast up last night so hopefully he is in good hands. I mentioned the suspension problem to him that it felt twitchy. He said the springs are probably tired. Well wouldnt he have seen this a month ago when he replaced my seals???
Becky.

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
don't stop
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 01:33:55 AM »
i blew up my car from trying to do this and that to it
but i still haven't given up on it - it is frustrating though
so i concentrate on my B4 - practically 15 years old
internal combustion engines should not last this long @ high RPMs
this leads me to the conclusion that we have a really good bike.

In the UK and parts of asia there is plenty of support
Used stock and sister bikes to make it a worthy
bike to live and ride with.
In the USA and canada its a bit harder
but this website helps a lot!
and finding local support from a good honest
motorcycle store and repair shop or mechanic
is really important
I firmly believe it is worth it
even if you do it all yourself
all the learning and struggles
and grease in my finger nails

you have a really cool bike if you stick with it
you get the same gas mileage as a Toyota Prius
and its cheaper and will last way longer

and very fun/fast for a small bike

Offline 400runner

• Board Homesteader!
Worth the time? I think so.
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 09:40:37 PM »
I remenber when I first saw the B4. What a cool looking bike.  A friend of mine introduced me to the B4 and I have had one since. I have now owned two. The first B4 gave me so many problems that at one point I thought of getting rid of it. But that thought faded on days when it ran like a champ. If the carbs were not acting up, the electric grimling would come out play. If it wasn't one thing it was another. all my friends would make fun of me because the darn thing almost always acted up. Hell, I bought it with a broken clutch cable.  After four years I finally figured it out and there was nothing wrong with the bike execpt for the fact that I had bought it with 20k miles and now it had 50k. It had been a few months with no problems when the valve shaft gave. The shaft fell into the cylinder and it destroyed the engine. Sad day for me. I ran that thing above 10k rpm all the time. anything less was no fun. They are so much fun that you develope a loyalty to it. I now have a second B4 that I bought for very cheap and with only 600 miles. Not even broken in. I was going to buy a new sv650 but I knew it was not going to make me happy like the B4 had. so I waited till I found the right deal. This bike has not given me any problems so far. (knock on wood) I just love them. I hope that you find a happy place with this bike because they are very cool bikes, And sexy looking. I spent a year in Eroupe and they are very popular there. Specially in Greece.  I had no idea they made brand new B4s until one past me on a scooter I had rented in one of the islands. But that is a whole other story. Good luck to you. You will find lots of good advice here.
 :beers:
400 runner

Offline raincheck_uk

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 04:10:12 PM »
So the guy, once again, has had my bike a week without any contact. I called him yesterday he said it should be ready in the afternoon and he'd call me. He never did. I called him today he said that sealing it didnt work so he is going to try to weld it. Is this going to make the tank ugly?? And how much will it affect the paintwork?? It would probably be cheaper to get another tank because no doubt when i get it back i will have to get the thing resparayed. I asked him about the lights too he said it was the bulb. If you have read my earlier post you will know what i did to find the problem with the lights. It wiorked when it was wired to the battery. What do you guys that replied think of it??
Becky.

Offline 400runner

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 04:43:53 PM »
Becky,
 As far as the tank goes, I have seen them on ebay for fairly cheap. I just saw one sold not too long ago for less than $25 american. There is one on ebay right now for bid under bandit 400,right out of the UK.  I bet the price you get it for is cheaper than what you would pay someone to figure out you problem. And you get a better quality tank.The horn maybe coming on after 8000 rpm because of the vibration. Follow the connections from the horn and make sure that there are no exposed wires. where they are exposed they can ground themselves when the bike shakes due to the revs. I think that there is an electronic copy of the wiring diagram somewhere in this forum. If not PM me and I will email you one. As far as the light goes. its the same with the horn take your time and make sure every wire is in good shape. from experience I know that it is not difficult to do,but it sure takes alot of time. Alot of time.

Offline raincheck_uk

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2005, 04:12:04 PM »
Thanks for your input. Ill have to check that out. I now have the beast back i picked him up from the garage today and the guy only charged me £60. He has done a real neat job with the welding, but i think its a good excuse to have the tank resprayed (once i have the money as im trying to save up so i can visit my brother in the states over the new year). Thanks guys for all your help it really is apreciated.
Becky :thanks:
Becky.