Author Topic: What mileage do you have on your Bandit? Is 55,000km a lot??  (Read 4619 times)

Offline ripcurl

• New user!
What mileage do you have on your Bandit? Is 55,000km a lot??
« on: October 16, 2008, 09:12:56 PM »
I'm looking a a used 1991 Bandit 400 with 55,000km for $1750. Is this a lot? How long do these engines last? What major maintenance will be required come spring (I'm storing it for the winter)? FYI, I'm in Canada and people usually only ride for half the year...

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
Re: What mileage do you have on your Bandit? Is 55,000km a lot??
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 03:59:09 AM »
my b4 has just ticked over 90,000km and still going well. As far as I know it hasn't had any major engine work done on it (I've had it since 50,000km). I've had problems with the clutch dragging needing the clutch plates replaced and when I got my bike, the radiator fan had jammed due to a rock stuck in the fan shroud, the fan motor had corroded and the fan thermo switch and warning light switch had died. I've changed the oil every 5000km, checked the valve clearances ever 10-15,000km or so. Etc.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 11:12:52 AM »
I'm in Canada too... being in toronto I ride 3/4 of the year. I dunno how long the motor lasts. Mines got 50,000 km .... still runs strong but burns oil.

1750 sounds about right. Offer $1500 and see what happens. They usually are listed for $2000 - 2500 depending on condition. At this time of year they're gonna be cheaper. Its a rare bike that's fun. I planned on upgrading after 2 years but 5 years later and I've still got it.

These bikes aren't easy to maintain and I wouldnt recommend getting one unless you're mechanically inclined. Shit goes wrong regularly...

Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline ripcurl

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 11:37:26 AM »
I'm in Canada too... being in toronto I ride 3/4 of the year. I dunno how long the motor lasts. Mines got 50,000 km .... still runs strong but burns oil.

1750 sounds about right. Offer $1500 and see what happens. They usually are listed for $2000 - 2500 depending on condition. At this time of year they're gonna be cheaper. Its a rare bike that's fun. I planned on upgrading after 2 years but 5 years later and I've still got it.

These bikes aren't easy to maintain and I wouldnt recommend getting one unless you're mechanically inclined. Shit goes wrong regularly...

Where in T.O. are from? I'm in Scarboro/Markham!

What type of shit goes wrong regularly with this bike? What regular maintenance am I looking at if I want to keep this bike for 2 years? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but new to bikes (I know my car stuff).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 11:44:40 AM by ripcurl »

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 05:28:14 PM »
I bought my Bandit 400 last year with around 48,000km on it and put around 6000km on it last year. It was my first bike, and I, like you, didnt know much about working on bikes at all.

I did all the usual stuff...changed the oil and filter, changed the brake fluid, did a valve check (which will require you to remove the radiator, so you'll be changing the coolant in the process), new brake pads and new tires.

She ran pretty flawlessly the entire season...except a few times where she would not start. I blame it on dirty carbs.

Basically, the bikes dont seem to have any major common problems that I can think of....if it starts and runs well, doesnt have a plume of smoke coming out the exhaust and doesnt sound like its gonna fall apart, then it should be good to go!

Oh..one issue does seem to come up on these bikes, which is a broken 2nd gear. Apparently, the B4 has a weak 2nd gear. Although, it didnt happen to me, nor have I seen anyone post about it recently, so I dont think its a huge issue. But I'd give it a test ride to make sure its shifting well.

Good luck! I sold my B4 this spring and kinda miss the little bugger :(
1991 Bandit 400

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 07:18:29 PM »
I'm not a B4 owner, but from reading posts from B4 owners over the last 7+ years here, I'd have to say the most common problems I've read about are:

Carb related (dirty, worn needles/jets, bad diaphragms, maladjusted by previous owners)
    Ignition related (bad coils, plug wires/caps, and "black box" issues)
    Storage related (electrical grounds & connections, bad bearings, etc. from being stored out in the weather for years)

It seems the B4 owners are less likely to put a lot of miles/kms on their bikes than the bigger versions, but if the B4 is half as reliable as a B12, it should be able to rack up >150,000 kms.

:btw: To answer your question, my B12 is very close to hitting 50,000 miles (it's already over 80,000 km) and still runs great with nothing but routine maintenance.  It's a different critter than a B4 though, but it will give you an idea of Suzuki reliability.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 07:23:45 PM by Red01 »
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 10:59:28 PM »
If you want someone to look at it who knows these bikes in and out. Hit me up. I'll show what needs repair... whenever I buy a new bike (not bloody often). I change the engine oil, fork oil, brake pads, coolant, etc... just so I know when it was last done... so budget some cash right off that bat.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline ripcurl

• New user!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 12:40:49 AM »
If you want someone to look at it who knows these bikes in and out. Hit me up. I'll show what needs repair... whenever I buy a new bike (not bloody often). I change the engine oil, fork oil, brake pads, coolant, etc... just so I know when it was last done... so budget some cash right off that bat.

Thanks interfuse. Unfortunately the guy who was suppose to show me the bandit tomorrow sold it today :( so no bandit for me....yet...

Offline Uncle.Jay

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 05:44:25 AM »

when I get a "new" bike like an older B4, I always take out the rocker arm to give all the bearings a lot
of grease, cause most of the preowners never did. And after 15 years they really need some grease.
Even bikes that have always been in the bikeshop every year mostly are dry.

a few weeks ago I changed the chain-kit for a friend on a 93 B4 and the rocker arms axis was that rusty it
took one and a half hour to get it out of the frame....

also check the headsets bearing for grease, it gets water form your front tire.

jens

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 04:03:10 PM »
I think you mean swing arm and rear suspension linkages. I should probably do that on my bike...