Author Topic: CDI box, but not the usual problem  (Read 17677 times)

Offline dolly_parton

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: CDI box, but not the usual problem
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 01:48:15 PM »
To get mine out, i stuck a square bit into the two holes at the bottom of the plastic case. Then I wedged a skinny screw driver next to the square bit and then applied pressure (using the square bit as a sort of fulcrum) to wedge the innards out. I would do some wedging in one hole, then the other, taking my time. As soon as the card was sufficiently out, I ran a screwdriver around the length of the plug-side black plastic to extract the card. Minimal damage...could have had none if I had taken more time.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 12:27:35 AM »
OK, both r_outsider and I gave it a go, small little bits of the cover are chipped out now, and we were reluctant to go any further.  The best I can suggest now is to maybe search the forums and see if you can figure out if it can be swapped for a US model.  I did notice that the part # is different, so I have a sneaking suspicion that the answer may be no, but I've been wrong before. :)
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Wrider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 02:47:10 AM »
Yeah... Darn... Already searched the forums.  Unable to find anything that indicates it's swappable, and unable to afford a new CDI at the moment anyway.  Did find one for $50 for the same part number and all that, but unable to afford that much even.  REALLY needing to find a job but with school it's hard to find one that will allow me to work with my higher priorities you know?  Doesn't help that according to the experts my area is one of the top ten hardest to find a job... lol.
Alright well back to the drawing board.
If you do happen to get it great, but if you don't want to go any further I understand.  It's a bit nerve wracking getting into something you haven't done before.  May have to bite the bullet and buy another CDI, repair this one, make sure it works, then go and re-sell the other.

Offline Wrider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 01:55:49 AM »
So does anyone know if the 92 is compatible with the 93?  There's a 92 for sale here that needs motor work but is running...

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 04:38:46 AM »
Probably... again though, depending on the original country that the bike was shipped to.  If it's a US bike, I'd think you'd be fine.  (I guess my concern is the "grey market imports" that we see pop up and stuff, which CDIs and such do those have?)

I know that the service manual covers the 91 - 93 bikes...

I hear you on the school and working thing.  I did that when I was in college and it was a real bear.  Sometimes I had to pick between food and gas.  Gas got me to school so I could learn, (and not be kicked out of school) but I had an almost fatalistic addiction to food.  Still do truth be known.  It really does feel like I might perish without it...
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Wrider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 06:06:16 AM »
Probably... again though, depending on the original country that the bike was shipped to.  If it's a US bike, I'd think you'd be fine.  (I guess my concern is the "grey market imports" that we see pop up and stuff, which CDIs and such do those have?)

I know that the service manual covers the 91 - 93 bikes...

I hear you on the school and working thing.  I did that when I was in college and it was a real bear.  Sometimes I had to pick between food and gas.  Gas got me to school so I could learn, (and not be kicked out of school) but I had an almost fatalistic addiction to food.  Still do truth be known.  It really does feel like I might perish without it...

Heh yeah that's the truth.  When I was down at MMI I was paying for food and gas on 40-80 bucks a week.  Work and school were both 10 miles each way, I was averaging 18 MPG, school was 5 days a week and work was 1-2.  And this was back in 08 when gas prices were at their peak! haha.

Just checked out the service manual.  Doesn't list part numbers unfortunately, but it DOES list specs for the electrical system.  Seems the only difference between the 92 and 93 electrically is that the 92 uses a CR8EK and the 93 uses a CR9EK spark plug.  I'm guessing that's to cool down the cylinder and conform to the 50 hp limit.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 08:38:49 AM »
So does anyone know if the 92 is compatible with the 93?  There's a 92 for sale here that needs motor work but is running...

Most of the parts are compatible. But the signal generators are different. 91-92 it's 32900 10D00 and 93 is 32900 10D60. From what I've read on the board I don't believe they are compatible. Although it may work if you switch the pickup? Do a search and see what you come up with.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.