Author Topic: Indicators not working - UPDATE: Problem solved!  (Read 7032 times)

Offline Andy B

• Board Regular!
Indicators not working - UPDATE: Problem solved!
« on: August 27, 2012, 05:47:30 AM »
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on this one...

I've just got this one last thing to do on my 400 and then its on the road, but i'm stumped..

everything is wired up as it should be, the flash switch and main beam switch both work on the same switch gear but the indicators just wont work. there's no flashing on the dash console, and nothing at the actual lights.

the flasher relay is new, and has been tested working on my other bike, and all the fuses in the fuesbox are in tact.. (are there any other fuses hidden i've not seen?) or is there anything else im forgetting to check.. really vexed with this one so any pointers would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance
Andy  :thumb:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 07:27:07 PM by Andy B »

Offline bullet5

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Indicators not working
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 10:05:41 AM »
Have you swapped around the fuses in the box, as I've had a lot over the years that look intact but they are still dead.

There are one or two fuses on their own but I don't have the wiring diagram on hand to check whether they have any effect on the idicator system, seen as I'm on the other side of the country right now.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 11:26:49 AM »
Maybe too obvious? You didn't mention checking the bulbs...
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Andy B

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 04:28:46 AM »
Reet, checked out all the fuses and they're good, and i even got a spare switchgear to test just to make sure it wasnt that, and still nothing...

wired the individual indicators to the side light circuit and they work so it's not that...

so im still stumped... i've just bought a genuine workshop manual to get a look at the wiring diagrams... looks like i'll be stripping the loom down to see if theres any breaks in the wires, and may go as far to run some fresh wire for the indicator circuit.. :/

Andy

Offline Andy B

• Board Regular!
Re: Indicators not working - UPDATE: flashing like hazards
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 05:17:36 AM »
another update on my indicator problem...

i sourced a replacement wiring loom which turned up friday, and is in far better condition than the old one. so after fitting, i've hooked everything up, and now i flick the indicator switch and whichever way it goes all four indicators flash :banghead: and the tell tale on the dash doesnt illuminate either..

im stumped here... i've tried both switches i have, and both dash modules and both have the same symptoms..

is there anywhere where a short could occur, or could it be a bad earth even though everything else seems to work perfectly..

this is the last thing i need to do to get the bike back on the road now so im pretty much at a loss here :/

any suggestions would be fantastic

Cheers,
Andy

Offline half-full

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 04:04:29 PM »
Andy, I had a similar issue after switching to LED turn signals. The solution was to install a diode in the circuit for the dash indicator light. Here's a link to the diode I installed. http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/719/diode-kit
The diode prevents the power from feeding back into the system. I'm sure you could pick up a diode at a local Radio Shack also. I wasn't in a hurry or sure of the diode specs so I just ordered it.

Offline half-full

• New user!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 04:13:27 PM »
Just in case. Should be the black and light green wires running into the dash cluster.

Offline Andy B

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 04:13:53 PM »
so i had another crack at it earlier today and managed to find something else  :grin:

whilst everything is as factory and is laid out like the wiring diagram in the factory manual my the wiring im having trouble with basically looks like this:

so i found my problem was solved when i disconnected the blue multiplug going into the dash unit, and the indicators started flashing as normal, so had a closer look on the wiring diagram and as above you can see the wires for the tell tale go between the positive wires of both indicators, and, to me, all this seems to do is short out the wiring, and causes my problem  :duh:

so now my question has turned into - how do i wire in the tell tale to blink with both directions without shorting out the circuit  :shrug:

Offline Andy B

• Board Regular!
Re: Indicators not working - UPDATE: problem solved!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 07:26:43 PM »
Hey guys,

Just a quick one incase anyone has the same problem and stumbles upon this thread..

so the wiring diagram posted is factory, and all correct.

why was i having problems??

LED indicators!  :banghead: so apparently since they have less draw than normal bulb indicators, it allows the above wiring diagram circuit to act as a short and cause the four way flashing... normal bulbs requiring more amps to flash means the tell tale circuit wont allow the same draw to happen, so doesnt make a short circuit... who knew? not me...

in short... dont put LED blinkers on your 400.... it will give you headaches!  :beers: