Author Topic: Float problems maybe?  (Read 2909 times)

Offline onenicebandit

• TURBO TYPER!
Float problems maybe?
« on: June 17, 2006, 01:04:31 PM »
Well, I've been thinking, I don't  really know how to correctly set the float height on my  B400, I have the service manual, but it's a little sketchy on how to set them.  After 15 years, do you think they would be soaked and are just dumping gas into my cylinders.  I've got a new Ignitor coming for it, because it only costed me 20 bucks.  I seen a set of B4 carbs on ebay right now, BIN for 119 bucks.  I don't think I'm going to get them, but...just thought I'd throw them out to everyone.  Let me know guys if anyone had float probs.  

Chad
06 KTM 250 SXF <My>
92 Bandit 400 <Runs>

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Float problems maybe?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 01:15:03 PM »
If the floats are soaked (sunk), you'll be able to tell by removing them and listening for the sloshing sound of fuel inside the float chambers. This isn't unheard of, but is one of the rarer problems you'll find in a carb. More likely, if you've got flooding problems, the float needle & seat are leaking fuel past and not shutting the flow off like they should.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Float problems maybe?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 03:23:27 PM »
Disconnect the tank with the petcock in the "on" position, if gas flows out freely you've got a bad fuel tap. Combine that with old orings, or dirty float valves and you'll end up with a crankcase full of fuel.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline onenicebandit

• TURBO TYPER!
Float problems maybe?
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 08:51:32 AM »
Checked the fuel cock already, that is good to go.  This bike is driving me crazy!!! It's only got 2500 miles on it, I'm flippin out.  Someone wanna come over and work on it with me?  I'll pay ya.  :beers:   I want this bike to run so bad, I can taste it.  Dang thing anyways.
06 KTM 250 SXF <My>
92 Bandit 400 <Runs>

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Float problems maybe?
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 10:37:23 AM »
Even with a good petcock, bad o-rings are going to let some extra fuel dump into the cylinders.  There are about a bazillion threads here about the pesky little bastards.  Your floats should seat firmly in the carb bodies.  If they're loose, you've got problems.  

Of course if your floats are way too high, that could cause the same thing.  To check the heights, you can use good calipers but a float height tool is WAY easier.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Float problems maybe?
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 10:53:25 AM »
Here's how you set the float hieght:

http://www.factorypro.com/tech/float_height_adj_procedure.html

I don't have a float hieght tool, I just use vernier calipers (modified to so the top arm is longer with a small straight edge and some tape...)
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.