Author Topic: Starting in the wet....or not  (Read 2036 times)

Offline yoda

• TURBO TYPER!
Starting in the wet....or not
« on: October 26, 2006, 12:09:52 PM »
Can anyone help? my bandit, wonderful as it is, hates the rain. It really doesn't want to start from cold or warm when its damp. I do have a problem with the battery because its not holding charge. I still think I have some sort of earth fault or something. To save me ages in looking, are there any vulnerable or typical places things go wrong? Any help or suggestions gratefully received!

Also I tried to download the bandit 400 manual files but could only get the 1st lot, and the electrical sections on 2 or 3. does anybody know what readings the alternator should be making to check its ok? I presume it is as I can ride as long as I like with the engine running and lights on, but it won't start after ( that's the battery problem )
smaller is better

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 01:05:33 PM »
In my experience, the spots on the B4 most vulnerable to dampness are the wires going into and coming out of the coils.  Lather up all those connections with some dielctric grease, make sure they're secure and see if that helps.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline speedwaymaniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 06:19:21 PM »
might be worth just checking that all your Caps are securel on the plugs. Sounds odd but i've had it before on my 125 where the cap hasn't been fully on and its severely robbing the spark when it gets wet!

Quite possibly something to do with water getting in? :duh:
JJ
'04 GSF 600 Bandit K4
'00 GSF 600 Bandit Y - Used for parts
'95 GSF 400 Bandit - smashed :'(