Author Topic: Overheated on way to work.  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Russtang

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://russruss.com
Overheated on way to work.
« on: April 24, 2006, 01:04:38 PM »
No indication at all until I got off the bike and heard/saw coolant boiling over, exiting the small overflow hose on the right side of the bike.  :sad:

I put the key back in and turned the electronics on.  The electric radiator motor was spinning, but the fan was going nowhere.  Looks like the nut spun off the shaft.

The wife will be here after work with my tools...and Loctite.  Anyone removed the fan assy without draining & pulling the radiator?  Any tricks?

Thanks,
Russ

Offline echomadman

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.echomadman.com
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 03:28:54 PM »
on my 250 and on the gsxr400 (i think) you can loosen off the bottom bolts an pivot the rad out a bit and drop the fan then.
1990 GSF250 Bandit (currently getting a gsxr400 engine transplant,
2000 SV650S

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 03:32:19 PM »
Without having my bike here as a reference, I think Echo is correct.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Russtang

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 03:35:15 PM »
Thanks guys!  

I'll give the pivot method a shot and let you know how it all turns out.

Russ

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 09:28:29 PM »
Did the temperature warning light come on? It should have well before the coolant boiled.

Offline banditcilik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 02:45:06 AM »
Fan malfunctioned on mine once. Erik's right the warning light came on. So if yours didn't then you'd better check the light too.

Offline Russtang

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 12:33:45 PM »
Never saw a light, never felt any change in performance.

Thanks for the info.  Didn't know it had a temp warning light!  It's now on my list.

I removed the 3 radiator mounting bolts and was able to drop the fan out w/o draining any of the coolant.  Not that there was much coolant in there anyways.  After I fixed the fan, I found out it needed about 40oz of water.  :shock:

According to the manual, capacity is around 55 oz, so I'm hoping my water pump didn't fry a bearing.   :sad:

Oh well.  I guess such is life with a 15 year old bike.  Besides, it's a teenager, they're supposed to be troublesome. :lol:

Russ

Offline anglichanin

• New user!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 06:46:43 AM »
Similar thing happened to me this weekend - but worse. Bike has been sitting for a couple of months - battery was flat as a witches........ jumped her off from my car - no probs - left her idling for around 30 mins then decided to go for a blast to charge her up.  Made it about ten miles then felt like i was misfiring on one pot....... hmm will pull over and have a look when convenient ...... got a bit worse ...... spotted a public house so pulled into the car park - soon as i put her in neutral she died a death....... lots of green blood eminating from under the tank somewhere and no electrics whatsoever. Got absolutely soaked waiting for someone to come and rescue me - bike is still there :-(    I am in two minds whether to rescue it or push it in the nearest ditch - not the fist problem i have had to say the least. Thing is i love this little thing when it is right - just toooooo damn unreliable. No idea how much it will cost to put right this time. I am guessing i the leaking coolant hasnt done much good to the electrics - dash lights actually come on but nothing - more - click click click "&^%$)"   :crybaby: