Author Topic: Oil cooler?  (Read 2777 times)

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
Oil cooler?
« on: April 15, 2007, 11:32:41 PM »
Been reading up on the various minor engine mods that have been suggested for the B4.

One that Im planning,in conjunction with more fine carb tuning,will be the hotter thermostat.Ill also be installing a temp gauge since I never much liked relying on just an idiot light.
Then I got thinking about oil coolers.All my other vehicles(bikes and cars) have them.Some stock,some aftermarket.Ive always preffered to play it safe,and after upping the "normal" coolant operating temp,keeping the bottom end,clutch and trans temps in check seemed like a good idea.I even have a nice little compact cooler I can use.Since the B4 engine is similar to the oil cooled GSX-R engines,it stands to reason that this shouldnt be too hard a job.But so far,Ive not found anyone that has done it.
Are any of the ports near the bottom of the engine sutible for cooler plumbing,or are the oil feed lines to the head my only option?.....or is there any overwhelming evidence that oil coolers are simply uneeded on the B4?
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Oil cooler?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 12:05:42 AM »
i used to have a pic of one on a b4 use a gk71f gsxr 400 oil cooler and the bottom bolts for feeds
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Oil cooler?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 06:42:57 PM »
Quote from: "turbofb"
or is there any overwhelming evidence that oil coolers are simply uneeded on the B4?

Yeah... I don't run one :taz: I've never had any oil problems at all. The fan starts running when I'm riding on my favorite stretch of road so the engine gets very hot. Of course, it's running between 10000 and 14500 RPM all the time when I'm there. Not just in low gears, so it does get enough cooling, that's not the 'problem'. I always use full synthetic oil from a good brand, Bellray, Castrol, Motorex etc. This oil does it's job even at very high temperatures, unlike semi-synthetic or even worse, mineral, so called 'motor oil'. Just run a good oil and save the weight of the oil cooler :wink:

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Oil cooler?
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 07:05:43 PM »
Oil coolers look pimp!
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
Oil cooler?
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 07:19:40 PM »
Heh,heh....That was a small part of it,they look purposful, and are.I also run synthetic in everything, except my RX-7.

Im not too worried about the weight,since its probably less than a pound and its down low.Ive also already removed many pounds of uneeded stuff like the passenger pegs,bungee loops,rear fender,toolkit,turnsignals and soon, my steel handlebars and some other stuff.Shes gonna be a lightweight,single purpose bike....Ill leave the touring and two-up duties to my FZR1000.

Any ideas where I could find those pics?
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!