Author Topic: Coolant reservoir  (Read 2825 times)

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Coolant reservoir
« on: May 31, 2006, 04:59:47 PM »
Has anyone ever removed this part of the cooling system? I don't see why it has got to be as big as it is. I want to make it about 1/4 of it's original size, so I have space to mount my 140 Db horn.

Next saturday I was planning on testing how much coolant flows to the reservoir when the engine is running and the fan starts to blow. Any experiences would be welcome :thanks:

Offline 400runner

• Board Homesteader!
Coolant reservoir
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 05:22:18 PM »
Don't forget that one of its jobs is to collect overflow incase of overheating. If you are away from home and your engine overheats and there is no room for the overflow to be collected you will lose it, and and most of the time you wont notice its flowing out until you come to a stop.  Makin the reservoir small in not a good idea. I don't recomend running the bike with too little cooland. You might be able you move it back some by moving the battery tray back a bit.  Maybe you can get a resevoir from a different model. How big is this horn anyway?

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Coolant reservoir
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 06:05:08 PM »
That's why I want to try it saturday. However, it's already filled for the greater part, so if I make it smaller and fill it only a little bit there is enough room for more.

The horn is about as big as the battery :roll: The battery and coolant reservoir are already moved back because of the GSXR rear shock.

Offline jcmjrt

• Board Homesteader!
Coolant reservoir
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 12:06:03 PM »
What horn are you looking to install? I've thought about wanting a better horn myself and looked at a Strebel....but I haven't done it...

Offline Zhi

• Board Homesteader!
Coolant reservoir
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 03:07:21 PM »
The only time I use the horn is to warn bicyclists that I'm behind them. :lol:
Z

Living and riding in the S.F. Bay Area.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Coolant reservoir
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 04:43:17 PM »
With my exhaust I can't even hear the horn... its more effective for me to pull in the clutch and give it some gas to warn people I'm coming. It usually catches thier attention.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Coolant reservoir
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 05:20:46 PM »
Lol, when I drove around without an end can I could still hear the stock horn. Just a thought :wink:

My extra horn is a Stebel Nautilus, which I want to use to 'greet' stupid tourist that are waving at me or pointing certain fingers. I wanna see them jump :roll:

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Coolant reservoir
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 07:11:48 PM »
What the hell do you need a horn that loud for, trying to call a lonely moose from over here LMAO  :beers:

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Coolant reservoir
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 11:29:22 PM »
After breaking the stock horn. I replaced it with this Link.
I bought the lowtone one and I figure the horn mixes with the exhaust sound. Probaby why bike horns usually have the high pitched *meep* *meep* sound. Something you might want to think about.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Coolant reservoir
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 07:53:58 PM »
Does anyone have a spare reservoir? I would like to know how much coolant it holds up to the 'lower' marking and how much up to the 'upper' marking.

:thanks:

By the way, I've found out that a 11 amp battery is only 2 mm longer, 1 mm wider and 1 mm higher than the stock 8 amp battery :grin: It should fit in the stock battery holder.