Author Topic: Crazy revs, fuse blown, gurgling...dead. What is going ON?  (Read 2762 times)

Offline dolly_parton

• TURBO TYPER!
Crazy revs, fuse blown, gurgling...dead. What is going ON?
« on: March 13, 2011, 01:53:46 AM »
Starting from the beginning:

-Bought a used bandit, battery wouldn't charge, so replaced crappy old wiring harness and reg/rec (with a newer 2009 suzuki 500 reg)
-Ran fine for about 75 miles.
-Instrument cluster went out, found blown 10amp fuse, so replaced with new fuse. Fine for 10 miles.
-Bike started to get funky. Would run for 10 mins, then start 'gurgling' at higher revs, then problem keeping from dying out at idle, then hard/impossible to rev above 3k....and...died.
-Checked/fitted all electrical connections. Bike sprang to life, ran fine for 5 miles. Would still gurgle at higher revs, trouble keeping from dying at idle after 10 mins running. In the meantime, had a temp warning light come on, added coolant.
-Started after one hour, ran for 5 mins, then died. Instrument panel dead, 10amp fuse out again. Would catch briefly after running starter for long time, rev out of control to 6-7k, then die. Stopped working all together, had to push home 2 miles.

Between the out of control revving/dying, the gurgling, and blown fuse, I think it's an electrical problem. But I can't explain the gurgling. Carbs were apparently fine before. I don't want to fry the CDI, so perhaps there is a bad connection, say from the generator? I had to solder on a new generator connector for the wiring harness, maybe this is the problem? But why would the connection have been fine for 75 miles, and then started with a blown fuse to gurgling symptoms? :banghead:

Thanks for all your help...hope to get back on the road without doing damage to the bike.

Offline Ivandit

• B400 rider
  • Board Regular!
  • B400 rocks!!
Re: Crazy revs, fuse blown, gurgling...dead. What is going ON?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:28:27 AM »
Mine died suddenly last year, after blowing fuse 2 times, and regulator/rectifier wires burning in flames...thatīs the first part I would check (itīs a very usual cause of problems in our bikes):

I replaced it with a refurbished one (new ones are quite expensive) and all electrical problems went away :thumb:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:34:04 AM by Ivandit »

Offline dolly_parton

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 12:36:12 AM »
Did put in the new reg/rec, before all the problems started. It was from a 2009 500cc suzuki something or other, can't remember. Looked decent, at least. It did help to charge the battery, the old reg/rec wasn't working at all.

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 02:46:53 PM »
My guess is the replacement regulator has problems when it heats up.  Measure the output voltage of it with the engine heated up and revving a bit.  If it is sending too much voltage across the system it will blow fuses and cause the ignitor to freak out.

Offline dolly_parton

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 09:30:35 PM »
Saga continues. I traced down ONE problem to the wiring...the harness from the alternator to the reg/rec was badly soldered on, so I re-did the connection, hoping all my problems would go away.

I started the bike no problem, no wild revving, just an easy idle. I let the bike run for 5 mins, tested voltage across the terminals, 13.5 at idle, 13.9 at 5000rpm. So good to go, right? I hop on the bike, drive exactly one mile before my girl starts having trouble keeping idle...gurgling when I rev again. uh-oh, I make a 180 and start heading home, barely make it up a one-block hill before she gurgles, idles down and then dies.

Tried to start numerous times, but could only get her to run for half-second bouts. Even after a two-hour cool down, the starter would turn no problem, but there was no 'put-put' sound from the engine (like when she's about to catch).

So dragged her home...again...4/5 of a mile. I examined the igniter coils, and it appears to have a weird set-up. From the main harness, a brown wire is spliced into two orange wires, which then connect to the corresponding terminal in the igniters. The black/green and white appear to be normal. Could the igniter not be getting power (so why were the wires ever spliced onto the brown wire in the first place), or worse, are the coils blown from the previous electrical mayhem? I can't test the coils as it's dark, but I would have to test resistance first one way and then another, with a significant difference between the two, correct?

Why can't this bandit and i get along???

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 11:14:43 PM »
Sounds like you're running rich and fouling plugs.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.