Author Topic: Derestriction of the Jap model Bandit.  (Read 22753 times)

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Derestriction of the Jap model Bandit.
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 07:41:56 PM »
Hi Vid,
Thought id seen then before :motorsmile: ye take it to ground with the resistor and ive not noticed any difference with the limiter, it still cuts in which is a GOOD thing in my book. Has your B4 got twin discs cuz only the jap bike should have the G/Y wire, the rest only get 6 wires and no G/Y.
Chris.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 10:12:18 PM »
Hmmm, no, my bike has a single front rotor. I'm beginning to think the bike may have been hacked from different bikes before I bought it. The guy who sold it to me had no maintenance records of it, which I thought was a bit suspicious, but I took a chance on it anyway. I'll have to follow that cable down to see what it does.

Offline Unique

• Board Homesteader!
    • unique/bandit400blog
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 10:58:53 PM »
Hi Chris
Thanks, I take you up on your offer  :thumb:, Just let me know how you want paying. I send you my address by PM later today, Excuse me, Chris, being a new member PM means Personal Message!.

Now back to 'Derestriction Jap Bandit', As you said, The Jap bike has twin disces as well as a stainless exhaust and not black. I've been looking at my Suzuki 400 manual for UK/W.Germany/USA and Canada models. Which is were the first pic comes from showing 6 wires and not the 7 wires that the next pic shows which is my bike CDI. Which is a 1989 model, Is there any difference to the later bandits bike !.

But looking at Vidrazor, pic of this CDI post while age. I would say he got a Jap import, As you said its only the jap bandit that has 7, Which were only made for the jap home market, Which some were later shiped to various counties as gray imports.

The only thing I not sure of, Are you saying in your yesterdays post, That the wire running along side the battry is the wire were we plug the resistor in to or not !.  

If you look closely you can just make out 7 wires on my CDI, not very good pic.

:thanks:

Unique

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 02:53:41 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure what the story is with my bike. It's looks like a US model:

But that CDI is strange, eh? Also, there is an ID tag on the frame that looks like it may not be the original, like it was transfered from somewhere. I'll take a close-up of that to show what I mean. Isn't there suppose to be numbers on the frame and engine that match? I think I remember looking at that when I first got the bike and they didn't. I took a chance on the bike anyway because I loved it the moment I saw it. Never had any problems with registration or anything like that. While it's had some quirks here and there it's been OK so I made out fine.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 03:06:09 AM by Vidrazor »

Offline Unique

• Board Homesteader!
    • unique/bandit400blog
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
Hi Vidrazar

Yes Strage, Its does looks like US model. Is it possible that a previous owner has had it shipped back to Japan as part of a Household/Job move. And had to have it restricted to be able to ride it, Then later had the bike shipped back to the States. Its the only thing I can think of at the moment.
Iam a proprietor of a small removal company myself and customers do ship cars and bikes between countries at times.

The engine and frame numbers are difference as far as I can remember, But whether the engine number is spamped somewhere on the frame I not sure. :roll:
It seams I may be wrong about the exhaust as its appear that some of the later German and other countries bandit had the same exhaust as the jap  import models.

Nice clean looking bike  :thumb:  and some back drop

Unique 

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 06:42:20 PM »
Ye at the side of the battery you got a group of wires and you will find a blue with fabric that is the neutral wire, its got a square plastic plug and the G/Y with a bullit connector. Leave the blue connected so the cdi knows when your in neutral(this is the only one that the non jap bikes have) and then connect the G/Y cdi side to ground with the resistor and leave the end that goes down to the gear lever loose.

Vid.
Its a nice bike and looks USA style with the disc and pipe but must have had some alteration to the electrics at some point. Love the look of the picture.

Offline Unique

• Board Homesteader!
    • unique/bandit400blog
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 10:02:17 PM »
Thanks Chris  Know wires you mean

Offline Uncle.Jay

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 04:57:21 PM »
hi guys,

my jap model VC ´95 is restricted to 11800rpm, my brothers ´91 slingshot makes 14000rpm

I want that too, is this the same thing chris did?

regards form germany

jens

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2009, 05:46:30 AM »
Hi Jen's
is it 11500rpm in every gear or the top two? if every gear then you got a problem! the restriction should kick in above 180kph so you may get 11500rpm above this.

Chris.

Offline Uncle.Jay

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 11:20:08 AM »

I noticed it wehen I was riding together with my brother

it was in 2nd/3rd/4th gear I think, so maybee all gears.

it´s a 1995 VC model, in wiki there are 53HP, the 91slingshot should have 59HP with unrestricted carbs and does 14ooorpm.

my carbs are unrestricted but the restrictor comes 11500 or 11800

is it possible to get the full power?

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2009, 07:22:25 PM »
Ive got a VC and before i worked on the motor it was dyno'd at 54BHP at the wheel which would be close to 59 at the crank which the factories use. Can you here the VC activate at about 10000rpm because if its not you will not get the higher rpm as the 'low cam' profile will give peak rpm at a lower range and the power will drop off very quickly and not rev out. If you look at the VCC video in the maintenance section there is a graph showing the power curve for the low and high cams and the low would give this kind of top rev range.
Chris.

Offline Uncle.Jay

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2009, 10:32:01 PM »

I´ve got no example or other VC to compare here in germany, maybe my one is the only one

but passing 10ooorpm I can here a short sound and I think its the variable valve controll

the bike is running very well, the thing that annoys me is the restricor coming at 115oorpm,
I´ve to change the gears a lot more than my brother and I always hit the restrictor

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2009, 06:49:50 PM »
My VC when standard would rev to about 12800 but would not go out to 14000. I fitted a Daytona derestriction box and it will go to 13300 now. I wonder if Suzi lowered the limit on the VC due to all the extra metal in the cam/cam follower system.
Chris.

Offline Uncle.Jay

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2009, 04:02:21 PM »

how much has your enginee now?
what else is done?

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 04:41:55 PM »
Hi U Jay,
Dont know what its got at the mo, but will get it dyno'd when ive money spare. After head work (skim and valve seats), crank/conrod work and balance, cam sprokets sloted and i think 5deg on the inlet, general blue printing, daytona ignition advancer, full exhaust system and k&n/carb work it produced 64BHP, but its had a JE 440 kit since and i ran an oilcooler but now have a small on to fit that is cooled by the water and a bigger rad so im hopefull of a bit more. :trustme: