Author Topic: Flatspot in 5th and 6th gear..?  (Read 4382 times)

Offline heretic

• Board Regular!
Flatspot in 5th and 6th gear..?
« on: March 14, 2005, 03:00:29 AM »
Holy Flatspot..!!  Where's the torque..?

Well, my b4 is back from the mechanic after the voltage rectifier woes, but, riding it about town, I thought about some of the other symptoms I came across.

Since this is my first bike, I havent been letting her rip as much as I would like to/is possible.  So she's been very rarely over 8k rpm.

In 1st to 4th gears, she revs through to 11000 rpm easily with no  gaps..  however in 5th or 6th, as I come to 6000 rpm, it struggles to go up, I mean, it takes about 30 seconds to a minute to go up every 1000rpm.

Is this the oft heard about "flat spot"..?  I dont know if it ever bottoms out, I never had the time to keep gunning the engine waiting for it to reach a point when it puts out more power.  I usually down shift into 4th, rev up to 11000 rpm instead and then back into 5th which takes me to about 9000rpm.  From there it doesnt seem to have a problem.

Is this normal..?

Another quick question..?  What rpm does your bike idle at..?  I've got a screw on the side that increases/decreases the idling rpm, and mine is usually at 1k or 1.5k  Is this a high amount or ok..?

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 09:01:25 AM »
Well, being a mechanical doofus, I will leave the reasons to the more technically gifted but I will say that you 5th/6th gear issue is not normal.  The "flatspot" I have is in all gears at around 4-5k when it's cold out.  It only takes a second or two to rev through it and gets better as the bike warms up.  

As for the idle, I forget what its supposed to be.  I would strongly recommend that you get your hands on a manual.  That and a thousand other things are covered there.  There's almost always one on ebay or you can download it from echomadman in the stickied thread in this forum.

Good luck.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline gunter

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 10:22:33 PM »
I would check the carbs.

I had similar issues with my bike last summer, but I pulled the carbs and did a complete tear down and rebuild. I also found the previous owner installed bigger aftermarket jets that were causing rich conditions at higher rpm's.
Try doing a good carb cleaning, followed by synchronizing them.

Good luck.