Author Topic: Nasty grinding noise, whats causing it?  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
Nasty grinding noise, whats causing it?
« on: August 19, 2007, 04:04:39 PM »
Well, when im riding along i hear an awful grinding noise coming from the area of the front sprocket.  The faster i go the louder it gets, above 40mph its howling like a beast lol.
This did not come on suddenly, its been like that forever.  If i loosen my chain it eases the problem and you cant really hear the noise so much, but then the chain is loose.

I think maybe the bearing on the front sprocket is shot, what do you guys think?

Cheers
If you cant join them, beat them...

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 05:12:27 PM »
Possible... but more likely, the chain is toast. A shot chain will make a grinding noise, too... and unless you've been running your chain too tight, far more likely.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 08:55:11 PM »
counter shaft bearings known to go out on these things
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 09:39:22 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"
Possible... but more likely, the chain is toast. A shot chain will make a grinding noise, too... and unless you've been running your chain too tight, far more likely.

i had a brand new chain and sprockets fitted last week, and ive only been out on it twice.  The first time the chain was real slack and i didnt hear the noise really, and then i tightened the chain to correct tightness and went out again and the noise was loud again.

So the noise gets louder if you tighten the chain, is this a symptom of the counter shaft bearing being out?  And where can i get a new one of these?

What is a counter shaft anyway  :duh:

thanks for your help guys appreciate any replies

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 09:40:31 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"

i had a brand new chain and sprockets fitted last week, and ive only been out on it twice.  The first time the chain was real slack and i didnt hear the noise really, and then i tightened the chain to correct tightness and went out again and the noise was loud again.

So the noise gets louder if you tighten the chain, is this a symptom of the counter shaft bearing being out?

If the counter shaft bearing is causing misalignment can i just tighten the chain tensioner more on one side than on the other to pull the chain back into line?

Anyone know where i can get a new counter shaft bearing?  :duh:

thanks for your help guys appreciate any replies

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 03:03:59 PM »
countershaft bearing is the main transmision bearing behind the front sprocket requires the bottom end of the motor to be rebuilt and a new bearing if available be pressed on better of to get a good used shaft but look for anything else it could be first
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 06:49:40 AM »
well i adjusted my chain and loosened it a slight bit, now the grinding has stopped but theres a whining whirring sort of noise which isnt that loud.  Im not sure if its normal transmission whine or not cos i dont know what the normal sound would be.  Do any of your b4's have transmission whine or are they quiet in that department?

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 11:11:50 AM »
My Bandit makes all kinds of noises....its hard to tell which are normal and which are bad!  :duh:  :lol:

Actually, I had a weird grinding noise too, after I removed both wheels, painted them and put them back on. I thought maybe something wasnt greased properly. Turns out my chains was way too tight, so I loosened it, also gave it a good cleaning and lubing. Now its nice and smooth! :D
1991 Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 11:25:09 AM »
yes they can have trans whine

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 07:32:54 AM »
ok well going from those two posts i think ill not be too worried, ill just make sure the chain aint too tight and not worry about the transmission whine

thanks guys