Author Topic: Fork seals  (Read 2880 times)

Offline erict716

• Board Homesteader!
Fork seals
« on: March 27, 2007, 06:04:40 PM »
Hey guys, I am just getting ready to take my bike to get the fork seals replaced.  I have two questions about this.  

1)What is the average price to expect for this job?

2)Should I get more than the fork seals and dust seals replaced?  And if so should I buy the parts prior to going to the mechanic on bike bandit?

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Fork seals
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 08:32:06 PM »
$12 for seals, probably $20 for dust seals (I only replace those if Heavily damaged) and $100 for the service/oil.

No way to know if you need bushings (mine didn't), but those are another $15~20 a set (2 sets) and best to order while the forks are apart.

Or you can do them yourself, get the same quality of work and just spend some time doing it.  Not everyone's into that, but if you are I've posted a writeup in this forum somewhere (I think).
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline erict716

• Board Homesteader!
Fork seals
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 07:47:51 PM »
Is there any special things to do if you have clip ons instead of regular handlebars, like in the removal process.  THanks

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Fork seals
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 09:54:07 PM »
Umm...  lol.  Don't take offense to this, but if you have to ask that question, then you Might want to consider paying someone else to work on your bike.  It will probably be Cheaper in the long run.

But to answer your question, yes you have to do something differently than on a Stock US B4 with traditional handlebars.  You must loosen the 1 or 2 bolts that clamp the clip-ons to the fork legs in the same way you must loosen the bolts on the upper and lower triples so you can slide the fork legs out.

Also, you'll need to remove the front wheel, fender and brake caliper before removing the forks.  Loosen (just a tad, like 1/2 turn) all the bolts before lifting the front end in the air, and make sure you hang the brake caliper from a bungee or other strap so it's not hanging by the hose.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Fork seals
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 10:29:50 PM »
Quote from: "BrianM"

But to answer your question, yes you have to do something differently than on a Stock US B4 with traditional handlebars.  You must loosen the 1 or 2 bolts that clamp the clip-ons to the fork legs in the same way you must loosen the bolts on the upper and lower triples so you can slide the fork legs out.

Sucks when you start wiggling the fork leg and get cracked in the head by the clip on :stickpoke:  :taz:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Fork seals
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 12:27:43 AM »
Don't laugh, I had a black eye before from standing up and nailing a bar end weight! And it was two days before christmas. I just said my old lady did it. LOL.

:boohoo:
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline erict716

• Board Homesteader!
Fork seals
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 09:20:50 AM »
No offense,
But to learn something you must start somewhere.  Did you wake up one morning and just know everything? Didn't think so.  And all I was asking about was the clip ons, I know the wheel needs to come off, but thanks for that tip.

Eric

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
Fork seals
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 04:23:10 PM »
wheres the best place to buy fork seals dust covers and the bushes?

cheers
If you cant join them, beat them...