Author Topic: Sealing The Tank  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Sealing The Tank
« on: September 13, 2005, 10:13:45 PM »
Has anyone successfully sealed their B4 tank? As some of you may know, I've had some bad luck with my carbs lately, and I'm thinking that, besides the in-line fuel filter I'm putting on the bike, sealing the tank would be a good thing to do.

I asked the guy at the shop where my bike is if they did that kind of thing, and he said they didn't. He mentioned that sealing tanks sometimes create more problems than they cure.

So I'm curious as to what you folks here think about this. Have any of you done it, and has it been beneficial or problematic for you?

Curious.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Sealing The Tank
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 10:28:28 PM »
Good topic.  I'm planning to seal mine this winter, too.  I know Pete (webmonster) has done the tank on his B12 with good results.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
Sealing The Tank
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 11:19:55 PM »
I had mine sealed as well. It wasn't leaking, but it was pretty rusty. I cleaned it once, but a few weeks later my fuel filter was clogged with rust again. The second time I cleaned it, I went ahead and had it sealed. The way I see it, I shoud have done it the first time since now I won't have to worry about it -ever- rusting.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Sealing The Tank
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 11:42:34 PM »
Mines sealed and i run race fuel with no ill effects! :stickpoke:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Sealing The Tank
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 11:24:36 AM »
Thanks for your replies. Well, how difficult is it to do this? What are the complications that the shop guy was alluding to? Someone mentioned it takes about a week for the coating to cure. That would certainly make this a winter project for me, as I've spent enough time without my bike as is.

Maniac, you had an in-line fuel filter before you sealed it, or are you referring to the filter already on the bike? I'm putting an in-line filter in for now to minimized the possibility of clogging my carbs again. Hopefully that'll help until I finally seal it.

Offline todius

• Board Homesteader!
Sealing The Tank
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 11:49:01 AM »
The biggest complaint I have read about is the liner flaking off inside the tank and clogging up the petcock.  If you follow the directions carefully and allow ample time for the liner to cure, you shouldn't have any problems.   (If it does flake off, you can dissolve the old liner in the tank with Acetone) We sealed my brother's tank with a Kreem kit about 3 years ago and haven't had any problems with it.
-Brent

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
Sealing The Tank
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 01:55:16 PM »
Quote from: "Vidrazor"

Maniac, you had an in-line fuel filter before you sealed it, or are you referring to the filter already on the bike?

An in-line one

2008 GSXR-750