Author Topic: Fork swap on the way!!!  (Read 8815 times)

Offline Ivandit

• B400 rider
  • Board Regular!
  • B400 rocks!!
Fork swap on the way!!!
« on: March 04, 2011, 05:46:14 PM »
Hi everyone!!

After lots of reading here and other forums, I decided to swap my B400 forks, and I´ll try to describe the process here :thumb:

First option was the famous "gsxr750 swap", but things are getting really hard and restrictive here for "non original parts" (even changing turn indicators requires an authorization to be legal, this is crazy!!)...I finally realised it was a high-risk mod with lots of headaches to come and forgot the idea...

Next option was original forks, but at least improving braking and stability, so the german 2 disc version will be the target (mine is single disk one).
Coming from a similar bike I think the swap should be quite easy and without the need of custom made parts to fit headlight and other parts, as I´ve seen for gsxr swaps...right?

I found a pair of (supposedly) good shape forks at eBay Germany and they´re on the way. They have new oil and seals, what makes me guess they don´t need refurbishing work at all.
The same guy also had the matching brake calipers for sale with new brake pads, and now they are on the same packgage travelling across Europe :motorsmile:

I need also a pair of brake discs...I thought about second hand ones, but I don´t want to mess with blend or damaged discs, so I probably will buy new ones somewhere...I think the plastic cover on the right side of the single disc version rim hides the installation holes for 2 disc version, can someone please confirm that?

Now, I´m thinking about stock brake lines or metal-coated ones...but I still have time to deliberate until the rest of the hardware arrives :grin:

Any comment, advise, etc is welcome, I´ll upload pics of the parts when they arrive and of course of the rest of the process!! :beers:

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Fork swap on the way!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 06:59:32 PM »
Ive asked the USA guys before if the wheel has disc fittings under the plastic loop, i think it may well have! but never got an answer. If you can not get good second hand B4 discs you can fit MK1 SV650 and may well find a good second hand set of these and so save a few of your hard earned notes.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 10:55:03 PM »
Now, I´m thinking about stock brake lines or metal-coated ones

Hey Ivandit

Steel Braided lines tend to be a great upgrade for the larger bandits...I suspect they are a decent upgrade on the B4 as well. Usually, steel braided lines improve the braking under hard force, since the lines expand less, resulting in stronger braking. You can also get them in lots of colours, if the "bling" factor is part of your upgrade.

Good luck...let us know how it goes.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 01:16:36 AM »
Ive asked the USA guys before if the wheel has disc fittings under the plastic loop, i think it may well have! but never got an answer. If you can not get good second hand B4 discs you can fit MK1 SV650 and may well find a good second hand set of these and so save a few of your hard earned notes.

Apparently the wheel doesn't have disc fittings on the other side. You'd have to drill and tap the other side. Look for thief400s post in this thread:

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=9275.15

I'm swapping to a gsxr 750 srad front end this summer... I have all the parts here now just need to make it happen. Documenting my process here: http://interfusedesign.wordpress.com/

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:33:29 AM by interfuse »
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Unique

• Board Homesteader!
    • unique/bandit400blog
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 10:17:22 PM »
Quote from: author
 I'm swapping to a gsxr 750 srad front end this summer... I have all the parts here now just need to make it happen. Documenting my process here:

from interfuse GSF 400 Blog} Stripped of the black paint and found a layer of red. WTF is wrong with people. Got it down the the primer and I’ll respray back to the factory colour.

i thought of painting my gsxr 750 forks, although they were never painting in factory colours, but in the end, as i polished many parts of my b4 i decided to do the same with the forks, etc, rightly or wrongly!! If you'll going to respray remember there no substitute for good equipment..ie..airless electric spraygun are totally useless and will give awfull finish and acrosols cans are not much better.

i've been inspired to do my own blog although like the bike its not got far, but meanwhile heres few photos

the above still need more polishing

the photos are not great due to resizing

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 09:29:59 PM by Unique »

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 09:06:16 PM »
I don't have the patience for polishing... especially the fork bottoms. But good on ya, it looks great! Keep me posted on how your swap goes.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline Unique

• Board Homesteader!
    • unique/bandit400blog
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 10:12:20 PM »
Hi interfuse

I don't have the patience for polishing... especially the fork bottoms. But good on ya, it looks great! Keep me posted on how your swap goes.

Yes you'll right there lot patience, perhaps that partly the reasons why i've not finished yet, although i use to work in car body shop some years ago which helps and now moving offices and homes which also takes patience.
regards to polishing... my 8" wheel polishing machine help a lot, but you still find yourself sing to your self.. badly may i add!!!

i was trying to pickup on your remarks about "WTF is wrong with people" badly May i add

am sure yours will look great too when finished

Expression of individuality

Offline Ivandit

• B400 rider
  • Board Regular!
  • B400 rocks!!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 06:24:43 AM »
Hi again, good news and updates!!

Most of the hardware arrived, everything came from eBay Germany: they were lucky with dual disc version and lots of parts are available :bigok:
I found good condition parts (be careful, there´s also a lot of scrap out there !!) and and honest seller, and also a great bargain for the discs:

- Forks in perfect condition, with new oil and seals:

- Brake calipers in mint condition, with new brake pads included:

- Dual disc brake lines:

- Pair of NOS brake EBC discs, an incredible bargain for only 118 GBP:

As I suspected, I have to find a rim too, as the single disc version has no mounting holes for the right hand disc. I´ve read of people doing DIY holes, but I don´t think it´s a safe (nor easy to do!!) solution :stickpoke:...rims are "cheap" and safe-riding worths it!!
I´m searching for one, hope to find it soon...searching is easier as GSXF´s from around 92 used the same rim;)

Probably will need new wheel bearings, and still wondering if the shaft I have now is the same for both versions...

New pics and news soon!! :beers: :beers:

Offline nos

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 09:24:28 AM »
Unique
polish looks awsome!!!!

Ivandit
if you want to get better performance from the original fork, get ur self progressive springs! big diffrence!!
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Suzuki/GSF_400_P_Bandit_GK75A/95/picture/Fork_Springs_Progressive_-_Hagon_-_Pair/
bikes i own:
Bandit 400
GSR500 Racing bike
RS125 Racing bike
1198 Racing bike

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 11:48:22 AM »
That's one recommendation for progressive springs and one for straight rate springs in the last couple days.  What are the stock B400 springs if neither of these?

Offline Ivandit

• B400 rider
  • Board Regular!
  • B400 rocks!!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 11:35:02 AM »
Thanks for the info, Nos!! :thumb:

I guess a new set of progressive springs would match a lot better with the rear Ohlins monoshock, I´ll take a look at that link;)

Updated news:

Brake discs arrived...the look absolutely awesome!!

This weekend is quite rainy here, so it´s time for some "preparation work": brake calipers cleaning!!
After some cleaning they look in perfect condition, even with seals in good shape.

Before/after:

Complete caliper dissasembly:

Still searching for a rim...I have a GSX 600f one "bookmarked", but no more money-spending until next month :lol:

:beers: :beers:

Offline Unique

• Board Homesteader!
    • unique/bandit400blog
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 12:52:46 PM »
i consider starting a new topic but decided to add to this post,  forgive me i've had a bottle of wine with my sunday lunch.. So am :grin: :grin:

while polishing gsxr forks i've decided that as one of the dust seals was letting the show down and after all the polishing i've done to them i was not gone to let this seal remain... plus i have no way of knowing how long since the oil has been change, if ever!   and while they were out.. seem a good time to do the work and would make final polishing so much easier.
           So to the strip down... as i did i could see that the seal that i didn't like the look of... was letting water in and the main seal was going rusty.  stripping the first fork  bushes were gettable way with, the second fork bushes were not.
So.. to ebay to order kit.. a new repair kit off ebuy £45.!! is not bad price but decided to wait to see if the seller would drop the price, when he did i decided to wait still longer to see if he would drop more.. wrong  :yikes: he went back up again.. but no i wasn't gone to buy yet but would wait to see if he drop again and last night he did.. so I brought at £34.!! +pp 
got to save were you can.

i've began to stip the bike to start the rebuild... but more work coming up soon so work on the bike may stop for while again :rofl:  summer-autumn/fall  who knows!!!!!!!!

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 07:11:38 PM »
Don't worry, my summer plans for the bike have been hijacked by a house purchase. But in a few months I'll have a nice garage to work away in... Hopefully over the winter I can get it done.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline Unique

• Board Homesteader!
    • unique/bandit400blog
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 09:11:12 PM »
That been one of my biggest problem a nice dry garage to work in, my needs a new roof and do i spend the time on the bike or the roof and you can always bet something else.. like the brake pads on the car will need doing.

a mate has a nice 24ft by 24ft garage he say i can us it but i never so far been able to get the bike in and he 10 miles away so makes it hard do the odd hour here and there.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:19:10 AM by Unique »

Offline TJS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 12:37:54 AM »
A small hold for a garage; means more time in the future!
EBC rotors!!!!!
More Bandit 400 stuff on my youtube:
https://youtube.com/c/StanleysGarage369