Author Topic: Running rich  (Read 3047 times)

Offline andylad

• TURBO TYPER!
Running rich
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:49:48 AM »
What would be the best way to adjust a rich running bandit?  Adjusting the air fuel mixture, (brass plugs still installed) or jetting down?  Currently running a 102.5 jet.  Or can old jets increase in size over the years from the flow of fuel?

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Running rich
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 06:53:18 PM »
What makes you think the bike is running rich? is the tail pipe clearly sooty around the exit.
102.5 is stock size for the 32mm carb so should be ok. If you got a flat spot just as you apply the throttle this is usually a sign the floats are too high ( a smaller reading when measuring from the bowl gasket surface, 15mm is a good setting. Also loose fitting rubber bungs in the pilot jet hole and oval emulsion tubes give bad throttle.

Offline andylad

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 02:36:33 AM »
Got the soot, got the hesitation at low rpm, heightned float setting due to incorrect o rings (fixed when new ones come in), Bungs are in and all there.  I'm hoping that the o rings fix this issue.  Will definatly post to let you guys know.  The rpm's go up to about 5-6K when the choke is on, but only when the bike is warm.

Offline andylad

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 12:39:49 AM »
So today I found out that the left most exhaust pipe (when sitting on the bike) doesn't get hot at all.  So since the bike has been running, its only been running on three cylinders.  Tomorrow is my day off and I'm going to try to troubleshoot it, If anyone would like to post where I should start looking, that would be sweet.

Offline Wudy

• Board Homesteader!
    • Wudy.co.uk Freelance Web Development
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 02:13:49 PM »
Start with checking it's getting a spark and fuel; take the sparky out after it's been run and the end should be damn if it's getting fuel. While it's out keep it plugged into the HT lead and touch it against the engine while turning it over, should have a nice clear spark.
If you've got both of those, then you'll need to check compression.
- '93 Jap Import B4 VVC