Author Topic: Frame damage  (Read 3400 times)

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Frame damage
« on: July 24, 2008, 08:31:24 PM »
This actually happened last year. Finally got around to photographing it. The bike wasn't balanced well enough on the side stand and fell over as I walked away...  :banghead: Hit the frame right on the edge of the curb.

pics aren't great, but maybe you can tell.

Any thoughts on this damage? Long term problem? no big deal? bondo baby!?

It's ugly as sin. I was thinking that when I get around to painting the frame (heh, sometime in the next 10 years), I'd take a hammer to it and see if it will pop out a bit and then fill it and sand it smooth and call it good. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to do. Welding perhaps?

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Frame damage
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 04:11:34 AM »
I'd go with the filler it with chemical metal and then sand it flat. Where it is your unlikely to be able to pop it out and welding will create more mess than it's worth.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 11:52:48 AM »
I'd go with the filler it with chemical metal and then sand it flat. Where it is your unlikely to be able to pop it out and welding will create more mess than it's worth.
:clap: :thumb:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 12:48:47 PM »
chemical metal... like JB Weld or similar?

I wonder if drilling a couple of small holes to give it something to grab onto is a good idea. Or it just weaken it even more. It really bums me out. I know it can be cosmetically fixed, or at least improved. I worry that it  might have some other long term effect. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 01:13:37 PM »
heavy sand paper no holes and yes jb weld but i prefere marine tex
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline hangin_biposto

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 10:49:42 PM »
KBC Coatings also sells a product called NuMetal which is amazing stuff. Filled a good sized hole in my car's subframe this winter when it was all wet and salty and nasty and held on strong right up until the subframe was changed. It's a two-part putty. I'm definitely a believer in the KBS product line... their tank sealer was a miracle product when it came to repairing my B4 tank.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/KBS-NuMetal-Epoxy-Putty_p_9-19.html