Author Topic: Frame sliders for 91 b4?  (Read 8921 times)

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Frame sliders for 91 b4?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 01:48:57 PM »
Thanks.

I used Grade 8 just because.
Im sure the plastic will snap off well before the bolt.

The 400 swingarm is a direct bolt on,with a few minor mods.Jay handled the welding mods for me as part of the deal.Its shorter than the stock swinger,so the chain must be altered and a few other things tweaked.Im sure the shock will probably work too,but I opted for something a bit newer and modern.An 06' GSXR750 rear shock will bolt right up with a minor bit of grinding to the lower rocker.It offers high and low speed damping,is rebuildable and of course its brandnew.Got mine for about 40 bucks from a race team setting up a new bike,so it was literally brandnew.
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline elbandtioCA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 01:57:43 PM »
i was just looking into putting that same shock on my bike, although without getting into a new swingarm.  do you know how much it raises the ride height?  i can't find the eye-to-eye length for the 06-07 shock.  if i could get one for that cheap i'd do it, even though i've heard the b12 shock is easier to install. 

Offline kako

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 02:20:41 PM »
i believe the new gixxer shocks raise it an 1 inch but i think the bandit 1200 ones raise it 2... but i could be wrong. either way the gixxer shock will be much better.
Kev
GSXR 400

Offline elbandtioCA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 02:40:45 PM »
found a guy who would sell me a custom built b4 shock for ~200, but can't decide if its worth it spending the extra money.  does "works performance" have a good reputation?

Offline kako

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 03:57:39 PM »
well if it custom built it will be built for that person, and no one else. so it might not work very well for you. and you will have to pay to get it reworked for your own weight and riding style. where you can get a fully adjustable shock for 40 ish dollars and tune it your self, which really isnt as hard as it sounds. there are a lot of videos on the net on how to tune.
Kev
GSXR 400

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 01:12:43 AM »
I used the 06' shock with the stock B4 swingarm at first and it rode fine.It raised the rear a little but not enough to be of any detriment.Even with the shorter GSX-R front forks,I still didnt feel that the rear sat too high at all.The low clip-ons had the most impact on how I felt while riding the bike,but Ive since grown accustomed to them.Im more used to bikes like this anyways,what with my FZR's.Its been a long time since I racked up many miles on a true "standard" motorcycle.
Im 6' 1" and 165lbs if that matters.I had the sag set by a local shop and he said everything looked and felt very well sorted considering it was such a rare bike to modify and was comprised of so many different parts.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 01:14:58 AM by turbofb »

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 04:46:42 PM »
Hi, the gsxr400 rear goes straight in, same width at the pivot end, you can use the shock, the later ones are fully adjustable and the springs about right ive had one on my bandit for about 8 years, you have to adapt the caliper rod tho. there are loads on ebay.

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 10:03:37 AM »
How did you adapt your caliper rod?

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 04:35:38 PM »
You need to weld a lug to the underside of the brakeside swingarm then use a modded torque arm, i used a cut down KR1S one (looks trick in gold alloy). you got to do this with the swingarm out the bike with all the wheel etc in to line up the lug. Hope this helps, i will stick a photo on tomorra as my swingarm is out the bike, gettin the frame painted as ive alterd the frame so that the subframe is now removeable.COOOOLLL!!!

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 05:10:53 PM »
Cheers mate need to do this myself too as i have a 76 swingarm to put on my bandit at some point.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 07:27:13 PM »

If it works some pics of the GSXR400 brake.

Offline kako

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 11:00:36 PM »
another way to do the rear brake is to use an 06 1000 rear and weld up a tap on the inside of the brake side of the swing arm. thats how the last owner did mine. and it gets rid of ugly brake arm.
Kev
GSXR 400

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 06:29:12 PM »
That would look nice n tidy, did mine years ago n was racing a KR1S so used wot was in my shed, but the gsxr swinger is so much bettr than stock. Also the tie bars for the suspension linkage are 180mm on my bike, hope that helps you guys.

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 11:59:01 PM »
Its not too noticeable if you paint it black.
The stock link draws attention being red,and its all the more noticeable if you have the silver GSXR swingarm.A sliding torque tab on the axle is the trick way to go,albeit a bit more work to do than welding on a torque arm mount nub.