Author Topic: valve adjust  (Read 3103 times)

Offline elbandtioCA

• Board Homesteader!
valve adjust
« on: February 07, 2008, 06:50:57 PM »
i'm going to do the valve adjustment this weekend.  i'm pretty sure the bike is long overdue for one.  i've got the shop manual but it doesn't go into too much detail about the style of valve adjustments--does anybody know if it is the tappet/nut kind or the shim kind?  if it is the tappet kind, do i really need one of those special tools (i saw a set made by motion pro online) or is it manageable to do the job with ordinary box wrenches?  also, does it make sense to check/do anything else while i have the valve cover off?  i was planning on putting in new coolant too since that looks old. 

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: valve adjust
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 08:36:13 PM »
It's tappet/nut.  Both my bikes are due and I'm dreading dealing with the buckets and shims...  On the B4, I actually held it in place with pliers and tightened the nut with a box wrench.  Was pretty simple.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:22:37 PM »
Yup...I just used standard tools. Actually, I used a box wrench and a Roberton head screw (a screw with a sqaure hold, as opposed to a flat head or phillips) to hold the adjuster. It fit perfectly!

Otherwise, its pretty straightforward. Its actually the ONLY work I've dont on my bike without breaking anything!  :lol: I changed the coolant as well, checked my air filter and plugs, plus all the wiring and cabling while the tank was off. Once you're all the way in there, I'd check/clean the air filter and check/change the plugs, if you havent already done so.
1991 Bandit 400

Offline elbandtioCA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 11:12:17 PM »
thanks for the tip on the robertson screw.  that's a good idea. 

Offline elbandtioCA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 11:01:31 AM »
i was going to measure my cam chain to check for wear when i have the engine open for the valve adjust.  just out of curiosity, how do i check the valve timing?  i can't find anything in the service manual about this, though in the servicing info chapter it mentions adjusting the valve timing.  is it simply done by counting pins on the cam chain, or is there an easier way to check.  i thought i read something about a timing inspection cover but now i can't seem to find where i read that.  the bike  makes a loud buzzing noise at higher rpms until it warms up and i've tightened external bolts down but to no effect.  after what i've read about the cam chains on here i want to check that out when i have the cyl head cover off.  thanks

Offline r_outsider

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 12:34:36 PM »
You can check the chain for slackness by counting off a certain amount of pins and then measuring them with a set of calipers. It's in the manual, I'd tell you where, but the manual is in the shed, which is frozen shut right now :annoy:. As for the valve timing, there's some timing marks on the cams that line up, it's in the book as well, but unless you have reason to believe it jumped a tooth I wouldn't mess with it. I would see GSX-R400Racer about a manual cam chain tensioner, though.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 10:59:18 PM »
did someone say my name
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Tainted-Meat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 07:39:13 AM »

anyone with the variable valve engine and thinking about valve clearences etc will want to watch this to get a good idea of how the engine looks on the inside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IIlplh-Yt4
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.