Author Topic: 400 exhaust solutions  (Read 4459 times)

Offline ovlovder

• Board Homesteader!
400 exhaust solutions
« on: March 25, 2010, 08:27:51 PM »
The exhaust on the bike im working on appears to be stock mild steel head pipes, with an aftermarket silencer, it is apparently jetted for this. 

The head pipes are horribly rusted, to the point Im afraid to have them blasted.  Id sort of prefer to go back to stock exhaust, but am having difficulty finding a stock jet kit, or really any sort of exhaust solution.   

What are the chances of finding a stainless header situation to work on my bike (91 400)?

Any notes or advise would be great.

Offline tabby

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: 400 exhaust solutions
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 09:58:36 AM »
I don't have anything to offer, as I'm curious too. I have a 91. I have found a stainless system available in the UK, but just to look at the site, I have to think it wouldn't be cost effective to get the pipe over here, to the US. Also, I have no idea if the pipe is even any good. Darn.

Offline ovlovder

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 11:03:12 AM »
Finding parts for this is tougher than my old Hawk GT

Offline tabby

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 06:24:48 PM »
Yup, I'm pretty sure that is the one I stumbled across. I'm not really in the need of a pipe. Partially because the stocker is in pretty good shape, and I'm setting the bike up for my daughter. BUT, if any of you decide to shoot for a group buy of some kind, I don't think it would take too much arm twisting to get me involved.  :thumb:

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 10:17:37 AM »
Here are the choices you have as far as a stainless exhaust is concerned:

-The Banditmania one

-A factory stainless one.

Both were not available in the states and were available in Europe. You can find them from time to time but shipping is the biggest kick in the nuts, probably more than the exhaust is worth (depending of course on how much you want to spend). Ebay is your friend there.

You can do what I do for testing the steel and that's just tapping it with the handle of the a screwdriver and listening. You can poke as well but be sure you can repair the damage if you go through. Concentrate more on the lower bends where water would collect (the pipes will more likely rust from the inside out) and if it sounds consistent, you're done.

The majority of the rust happens from the front wheel spitting up rocks, etc dinking the paint off the header. The tubing the factory uses is quite thick, usually why there is a significant weight savings to be had going to an equally non-existent performance system (they use thinner tube steel). That being said, unless the bike has sat outside and collected alot of water or done short trips to not burn it off, it should be fine.

My plan of attack at some point this year will be to demount the exhaust, chemically strip the existing layers of paint, use phosphoric acid to neutralize the rust and paint with VHT ceramic exhaust paint. You could also have the pipes coated with a ceramic powedercoat or even jet-hotted but I personally don't want to spend that much.

Be prepared to at least touch up the paint once a year at the lowest bend by the front tire as well as the first bend coming from the head. Those locations take the most abuse.

You can make the stock exhaust perform a little bit better by modding the header as well. Search around, I did the mods and posted results, which to me were all positive.

Welcome to little bike ownership. The most tedious 400cc you'll ever love.

Offline tabby

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »
Yeah, I got mine,,,, um I mean my daughter's, fully planning for it to end up back with me, when she moves up the size scale. Although, I question her taste, as she has mentioned that she eventually wants a "Nightster" HD. Where did I go wrong.  :yikes:

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 04:05:24 PM »
The Banditmania pipe looks very low to me- may touch down easy. I have a mint jap stainless set of down pipes and am prepared to post to the US, but let me say that they weigh a fair amount so postage would be high and im quite happy to bit on ebay.co.uk for you but you'd have to pay the cost of pipe, post to me and post to US. The going rate on ebay is about £50 plus £16 to post to me plus what ever the USA cost would be. Im not prepared to post a full system with end can as they weigh a ton so front pipes only.

Chris.

Offline ovlovder

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 04:32:28 PM »
The Banditmania pipe looks very low to me- may touch down easy. I have a mint jap stainless set of down pipes and am prepared to post to the US, but let me say that they weigh a fair amount so postage would be high and im quite happy to bit on ebay.co.uk for you but you'd have to pay the cost of pipe, post to me and post to US. The going rate on ebay is about £50 plus £16 to post to me plus what ever the USA cost would be. Im not prepared to post a full system with end can as they weigh a ton so front pipes only.

Chris.

Wow, sounds awesome.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 05:12:06 PM »
Ive 2 sets if anyone is interested.

Chris.