Author Topic: Fuel Won't Shut Off...  (Read 8710 times)

Offline Trikksta

• TURBO TYPER!
Fuel Won't Shut Off...
« on: October 30, 2006, 07:49:12 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if the Fuel Petcock is F'd on my bike.

This was my first season with the Bandit (91 400) and I'm putting it away for the winter  :crybaby: . I switched the petcock to what I'd assume is the 'OFF' position, all the way up. I find it strange that it only labels ON (down position) and RES (to the left). So, I assume there's no PRIME position and OFF is the up position.

Anyways, with the petcock in the assumed OFF position, I run the bike to drain the carbs. It keeps running and running and running.... Finally, I shut off the bike and try the carb drain screws. They just keep draining and draining and draining....

Any help would be awesome.

:beers:

Offline Stealth

• Board Homesteader!
Fuel Won't Shut Off...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 07:58:41 PM »
Down is "ON"
Left is "RESERVE"
Up is "PRIME"

There is no "OFF" position or atleast thats what I think. But the Up position is Prime for sure.

Offline Stealth

• Board Homesteader!
Fuel Won't Shut Off...
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 08:00:08 PM »
Try the Half-Way point between Reserve and Prime, That actually may be the Off Position.

Offline devilears

• TURBO TYPER!
Fuel Won't Shut Off...
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 08:22:18 PM »
There is no "off" position. Either "reserve" or "on" acts as "off" when the bike is not running. When the petcock is in the "on" or "reserve" position fuel only runs through when the motor is running as it is activated with vacuum from the intake to carb 1.

So if the bike is not running you should just leave it in the "on" position and this will effectively be the same as being "off".

Hope this helps

Offline devilears

• TURBO TYPER!
Fuel Won't Shut Off...
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 08:25:56 PM »
Quote from: Stealth
Down is "ON"
Left is "RESERVE"
Up is "PRIME"

This is correct

There is no "off" position. Either "reserve" or "on" acts as "off" when the bike is not running. When the petcock is in the "on" or "reserve" position fuel only runs through when the motor is running as it is activated with vacuum from the intake to carb 1.

So if the bike is not running you should just leave it in the "on" position and this will effectively be the same as being "off".

Hope this helps

Offline Trikksta

• TURBO TYPER!
Fuel Won't Shut Off...
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 08:30:05 PM »
Thanks guys, that would explain my problem.

So then, with a vacuum operated petcock, I can drain the carbs with the petcock in the 'on' position, and it won't continue to feed fuel to the carbs, correct????

Offline devilears

• TURBO TYPER!
Fuel Won't Shut Off...
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 08:31:50 PM »
Yes, that would be 100% correct. Except if your petcock is F#@%ed!!!

Offline Trikksta

• TURBO TYPER!
Fuel Won't Shut Off...
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 08:42:18 PM »
Perfect, Thanks devilears.

I need to invest in a service manual for the bike. This site is very helpful tho.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Fuel Won't Shut Off...
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 09:14:19 PM »
There's a free downloadable copy of the manual in the Member's section.  If you look around the 400 forum a bit, you'll see that F#$)*d petcocks are pretty common.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Fuel Won't Shut Off...
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 10:52:28 PM »
From what I've read it does not lead me to believe your fuel tap is f'ed. If you turn the knob to the "UP" position you've just turned the bike to "PRIME" which is FULL ON FUEL NO VACUUM REQUIRED.

If you turn the fuel tap back to "ON" and disconnect the fuel line from the tank, does the fuel tap still leak?? If not drain your carbs using the screws at the bottom and then reconnect your fuel line to your tank. If it the petcock leaks in the "ON" position without vacuum, then your fuel tap is f'ed.

Next year when you want to start the bike turn the fuel tap the "PRIME" for 30 seconds or so then start the bike. Easy.

What part of Ontario are you from?
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Fuel Won't Shut Off...
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 11:17:22 PM »
So then, with a vacuum operated petcock, I can drain the carbs with the petcock in the 'on' position, and it won't continue to feed fuel to the carbs, correct????

The fuel tank will continue to feed the carbs with the tap "ON" if you are running the bike.

If you don't want to drain your tank then leave the petcock "ON", disconnect fuel line from the tank (or the vacuum line... or both, take your pick), and use the screws to drain the float bowls. Reconnect everything and you're good.

*Edit (it was late and my brain wasn't fully working) actually if you leave the fuel tap "ON", and use the screws you're fine. No need to disconnect anything. No motor running, no vacuum to fuel tap, no gas comes out.

If you want to run the float bowls dry disconnect the vacuum line or fuel line from the petcock.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline Trikksta

• TURBO TYPER!
Fuel Won't Shut Off...
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 12:29:43 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys, I have successfully drained the carbs and stored my bike. The good news is my petcock isn't F'd, the bad news is I can't ride for a few months.

PitterB4 thanks for the heads up, I'll try and find that download manual. And interfuse, I live just down the 401 from ya - Waterloo.

:beers:

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Fuel Won't Shut Off...
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 10:09:44 PM »
And interfuse, I live just down the 401 from ya - Waterloo.

Any good roads by ya? My grandparents live in Stratford and I hit Highway 7/8 regularly. I was born in Kitchener so I'm sorta familer with your area.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline Trikksta

• TURBO TYPER!
Fuel Won't Shut Off...
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 09:52:31 AM »
You know the area then.

There's lots of decent country roads, there's a couple places we like to ride to. Mainly to and around Elora, also from Cambridge to Paris, and also up to Belfountain. Belfountain is realy nice - lots of curves, good scenery. I'm sure you may have been there since it's up around Caledon.

Let me know on any other good roads. This is my first season riding a street bike, so I'm looking for some good places to tour.

Offline Stealth

• Board Homesteader!
Fuel Won't Shut Off...
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 09:08:13 PM »
Hey Trikksta,

I live in Kitchener, Just bought my 91 B4.
Wow, two 1991 Bandit 400's in the same small city. :motorsmile: