Author Topic: Newbie needs help! Electrical problem- Bandit 400VV  (Read 4154 times)

Offline Blitz

• New user!
Newbie needs help! Electrical problem- Bandit 400VV
« on: September 21, 2010, 05:18:16 AM »
Hi guys! My name is Blitz and I'm from South Africa. I'm new to the forum and need some help with my Bandit 400VV. I bought the bike with an electrical problem and have since discovered that no one in South Africa can help me solve it! :banghead: The bike has a relay assy timer (part no. 32960-33D00) under the pillion seat that was burnt out. I replaced it with a new one and the bike started up fine, idled for a moment ( I might have revved it to about 4k) and then died. The new relay assy timer had also burnt out!! (cost me the equivelant of $100!!) I have no idea what could cause this relay to burn out?! I don't even know where to start looking for the problem and no one is willing to help (due to the fact that no one actually knows these bikes well over here) Any ideas??

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Offline Ken Hill

• Board Regular!
Re: Newbie needs help! Electrical problem- Bandit 400VV
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 01:30:41 PM »
If it's burning out electrical that fast I would start with the charging system. Sounds like it may be drasticly overcharging. If it is that's reg / rec, easy to change and relatively cheap, a little over $100 here.

Offline Blitz

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 01:57:29 PM »
Thank you very much for the reply Ken! I'll start there. I'm aware this relay plays a role in controlling the variable valve timing (not quite sure what it does?) The weird thing is that it is only this particular relay that burns out! I used my vague electrical knowledge to bridge the relay and she started. She doesn't run well and I'm scared to take her for a ride because I don't want to bust anything else! I hope this means my other electrical bits are ok? (cdi etc). Also noticed that my tach only moves till about 4k with the relay bridged.
I'd really like to get a good idea of what the problem could be before I start replacing things as I'm a University student on a tight budget.
I appreciate the help so far! This forum really is awesome and has a huge amount of info that I could use, seeing that no one here wants to take a look.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 05:48:03 PM »
You could have a short but i'd agree with Ken and take a look at the reg/rec as you may be sending more than 14.5V or AC (not DC) up the loom.
The relay is only on the VVC and is prone to blowing due to water.
It switches the power to the VVC oil control to set the cams between low and high so this is why its running ruff.
Check the wiring connection is clean and sound at the relay and put it under the rear seat out the way of water.

Offline Blitz

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 07:59:31 AM »
Thanks a lot guys! I'll then definately start wiht the reg/rec. Sorry for all the silly questions but what would be the easiest and most effective way to test the reg/rec seeing the bike isn't running? Or should I bridge that relay again?

Many thanks!

Offline Blitz

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 10:38:35 AM »
I had a look at the reg/rec. It has 6 wires coming out of it. From left: Black, Green, Red, Yellow, Yellow, Yellow. I'm not sure how to go about testing it and according to the manual it should have only 5 wires, no green wire?! It is possible that this isn't the original reg/ rec. I also noticed that one of the fins(?) on the unit has a piece broken off. Could this also be a problem?

Please help!!

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 04:09:01 PM »
Hi Mate,
Think its had Honda one fitted as they have a green wire- Carnt remember what the green does tho, may run the lights on a Honda.
You need to put a volt meter across the battry connections and check the voltage is between 13.5 and 15 volts 'DC' at 5000 rpm.
Then disconnect the yellow connection and checking any two at a time you should get above 70V 'AC'at 5000 rpm.
So DC volts at the battry and AC at the genny from the engine side.

Offline Blitz

• New user!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 04:25:24 PM »
Hey Chris! Thank you so much for replying! I'm going to have to start by tracing the green wire, have no idea where that disappears to in the loom. I recall one of the wires coming out of the reg/rec having melted a small black connection that was used to join it to another wire (it doesn't have the usual plug connections used on most reg/ rec's?) I'm currently busy with semester tests at university, as soon as I have some time to fiddle with the bike I'll give more info on the green wire etc.

Another problem that I face is the fact that the bike isn't running due to the blown timer relay. I can bridge that and get her started but my tach is not very reliable then and only shows upto 4000rpm.

Any ideas??

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 04:28:28 PM »
Im not sure about the bridge as the cam sensors usually switch it to open the cams to high so it will run bad at low revs and ok at high- I think!

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 04:30:28 PM »
Ive just got hold of a VC 'M' model book so will post the picture of the wiring for the relay as soon as ive time.

Offline Blitz

• New user!
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 04:35:44 PM »
That does sound right. She doesn't idle when I have it bridged. I just don't know how to test the reg/rec with the bike in this state?

As for the manual, that sounds awesome as my manual doesn't have the wiring for this relay. I think my bike is a 'VM' but I'll have to double check. Thanx so much for the help!

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 04:39:56 PM »
No problem.
The books got testing for the relay and VC system so i will post as much as i can.

Chris.

Offline Blitz

• New user!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 05:37:52 PM »
Thanks Chris! I look forward to receiving this info. Hopefully I can then solve this rather irritating problem!! :banghead: :banghead: