Author Topic: Looking need Help  (Read 3759 times)

Offline Army

• New user!
Looking need Help
« on: May 29, 2005, 04:43:49 AM »
Hello,

So I have fallen for the bandit 400, imagine that. But i cant find a bike to romance and i don't know if this bike would be right for me.
 I have read up as much as i can on the web, but i still need some help.

I'm 6'1" tall and i was wondering how you taller riders find this bike, or how do any of you find this bike, as far a size goes. Any info would really help.
I have been riding old honda CB 400T and CB550F, just to give you an idea of what i'm use to. Also an XR500.

Secondly I can't seem to track one down in my area and i have been looking for a while. EBAY, buy and sell ect. I have seen a few in years past and i just wasn't able to pic one up, but i never forget how great a bike it seemed to be.
So if anyone could give me any info on a good place to get one of these sweet rides that would really help. I would even be willing to have i shipped form over seas. I really want a Bandit 400. And don't want to setttle for a CB1 or and SRX, please help!

thanks and i look forward to hearing all the great things about this bike.

And i live in Vancouver BC Canada.

:thanks:
ARMY

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Looking need Help
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 06:46:56 AM »
:welcome: Army!

I can't tell you you well you'll fit on a B4 - and good luck finding one in your area... as I understand it, the B4 is an even rarer bird in The Great White North than it is down here in the States.

:btw: Cool avatar of T.E. Lawrence! :bigok:
Just one request, please make it smaller. We're pretty liberal with avatar sizes here compared to other boards I'm been to, but even so, we have to draw a line somewhere and 125x125 pixels is what Pete chose.
(Yours is currently at 207x275.)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Army

• New user!
Looking need Help
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 01:52:44 PM »
the avatar is from your sites selection, but i have changed it, thanks for the Info.

Also i would still like to know About how taller riders find the bike, maybe a few pros and cons, i'm just a little worried about my back.
ARMY

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Looking need Help
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 04:38:54 PM »
I'm 6'  - but haven't sat on a B4. Just a guess, but I doubt the B4 would be a problem and if it does make you reach a little too far forward, it should be easily remedied with a different set of handlebars.

Is there a reason your heart is set on the B4 over perhaps a B6? The 600 should be quite a bit easier to find... and less likely to suffer from the ravages of time.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Looking need Help
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 06:35:29 PM »
There are, or at least were, a couple 6"+ guys on the board.  Someone asked this same question on our old board.  They chimed in that it wasn't a problem for them.  I can't remember now who they were.  I'm only 5'10" and love the ergos of the bike.  I actually rode a Superhawk for a while today.  The B4 seemed really cramped when I got back on it.  That's the only time I've felt that way, though.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Greg

• TURBO TYPER!
Looking need Help
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 09:05:19 PM »
I am 6'3" and granted I don't know any different but I have no issues with my 250. I'm sure once I try something larger I will notice.

Offline Army

• New user!
Looking need Help
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 11:46:51 PM »
thanks for the Info guys.

Also, Are there any major problems that i should look out for when shopping around?

Now i just have to track one down!

:thanks:
ARMY

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Looking need Help
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 09:38:47 AM »
Army - the most common problems are not typically big $$$ problems (if you're not afraid to get your hands dirty, just frustrating and often tough to diagnose.  If you've spent any time looking around this forum, you will see that the carbs are kinda finicky.  I'm a total novice but I've been messing with mine for a year and a half and still don't have them 100% perfect.  Also with the carbs, the o-rings tend to rot and need to be replaced.  The petcocks go bad.  Although, Thief400/Chris, who is from Ontario, has speculated that is a US problem b/c of our oxygenated fuel.  The ignition wires go bad and cause poor running.  All of these are fairly cheap fixes (the petcock is ~$73US).  The big ticket problem is the digital ignitor box/CDI/black box... whatever you want to call it.  They can go bad in the B4.  New replacements are $500 or so.  There is a place in Europe that can fix them for about half that, including shipping.  There have been some members here who have cut into theirs and replaced resistors and capacitors as well.  

Good luck.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7