Author Topic: dies when i give it throttle  (Read 7986 times)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: dies when i give it throttle
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 01:49:16 PM »
Seems weird that i drove 3 times and it was fine but once i really get on it and take it over 10k it just starts sputtering out when its coming back down. 

From most of your descriptions so far, this sound like a fuel supply issue, and the comments from the rest are good places to start...

a) Make sure the petcock is flowing fuel strongly. To test the vacuum on the petcock, you can usually suck on the vacuum hose with the petcock on ON.
b) It's harder to test the tank venting...but you can ride with the tank cap partially open to help identify if this is the problem.
c) Assuming you have fuel flowing strongly from the petcock, then make sure you have fuel flowing from the carb drains. If not, you will have to dismantle the carbs and find out what is blocking the inlets. If you have fuel flowing from some, and not others, then likely there is something plugging or hanging up in the individual carb Float Needle Valve. If you have no fuel flowing from all carbs, then start looking the the fuel line or fuel rail that feeds all carbs.
d) Also, make sure you drain the tank to ensure no water, and start with fresh fuel.

Let us know how you make out.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline fireburster

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 02:24:25 PM »
Went out last night to work on the bike for a bit. Emptied the tank, looked good. Fuel came out of the petcock great on prime. Filters were clean.

Drained the carbs. 2 3 4 all have good flow, i put the tank back on, carb one no flow. So i assume carb one has an issue.

I started the bike and all the pipes were hot except 1, because it has no fuel. I really dont want to open it, but i cant find that yamaha carb cleaner localy either. Would redline work?

Also is gas supposed to come out the overflow pipe at the bottom of the bike? The hose off the bottom of the tank.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:48:57 AM by fireburster »

Offline fireburster

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 02:23:59 AM »
Is it ok to take the bowl off carb one still on the bike? anything going to fall out?

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 07:26:07 AM »
Dont think you can get the bowl off with the carbs on as two of the screws are out the back and they are make of swiss cheese- they need to be on a bench or round out.

Offline fireburster

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 01:14:03 PM »
I checked today and carb one is draining now. I replaced plugs and air filter. Letting some b12 sit in the carbs today while at the movies. Will post more once I get back out there. What size is the fuel hose? Mine kinda has a kink where it goes on the petcock. Going to put a filter in too.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 04:26:53 PM »
Your all inches in the US but the size that Suzi fitted was 8mm bore.

Offline fireburster

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 10:20:56 AM »
ran some cleaner through the carbs and now i have good flow. Also noticed that my fuel tank has a kink from the angle off the petcock, fixed that so no kink now. Drove around for 30 mins and it was fine. Still cant get a good idle set but syncing carbs in next.

thanks.

Offline fireburster

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 11:39:23 AM »
been riding to work when i can. Everything is running great now other then i cant get it to idle  under 2k. If i turn it down under 2k it just keeps falling and dies. No matter if its 20 mins after riding, doesnt like under 2k for idle.  2200 seems to be its spot that it doesnt die when i stop. I havent had time to sync the carbs yet but I have everything ready other then time.

Offline andylad

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 11:08:09 PM »
I think that synchronizing the carbs will solve the idling issue.  Also when cleaning the petcock, take the screw out from the valve for reserve and you can clean that out and get a lot of crap removed.  My filters were very clean, but when i took that valve apart a lot of crap came out.