Author Topic: GS500 Tail Light swap ?  (Read 14145 times)

Offline Volumetrik

• Board Regular!
GS500 Tail Light swap ?
« on: September 03, 2017, 08:17:29 PM »
I did a tail tidy last year and had to install an aftermarket light for the lisence plate. It works well, but it's a blue-ish light and it kind of clashes with the age of the bike.

I thought about this and I started looking for compatible headlights. My buddy had a gs500 from the same era (1993 I believe) and his tail light has an integrated lisence light (clear plastic under the tail light section that illuminates using the DRLs.

Looking on ebay, it seems that they both mount on the same tabs and are of similar shapes.

I'm thinking about picking one up to try, have any of you guys tried this before ?
1991 GSF 400 Bandit : Montreal, Canada

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
Re: GS500 Tail Light swap ?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 03:10:53 PM »
For quite  a long time I owned both GSF400 and GS500 and I think that GS light won't fit in at all. GS has narrower and more rectangularly shaped tail section (at least the 93 version, maybe post-2000 has wider fairing as those later GS500s have larger fuel tank).

I would simply replace light source in DRLs. Either find warmer diodes or completely remove original light source and install something like warm LED stripe.
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A