Author Topic: Replacement keys  (Read 4170 times)

Offline MasterM3

• Board Homesteader!
Replacement keys
« on: April 16, 2006, 04:19:58 PM »
Just curious how much and where I would go about getting a replacement key for the bandito?

i know its here somewhere, but i'm already thinking about if i can't find it.

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Replacement keys
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 04:59:36 PM »
$2/key, cut, from my local locksmith....  same size/shape, just without the plastic bit at the end that's embossed with 'Suzuki'.  Dealer wanted $8~10 for the blank, and then another $2~4 to have it cut (dealer was 4, locksmith is 2).  

The blank is an ilco suz12 or x179
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline MasterM3

• Board Homesteader!
Replacement keys
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 05:07:01 PM »
sweet  thanks

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Replacement keys
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 05:46:15 PM »
In my opinion, the ilco keys are better quality then the Suzuki keys. If you're still using the Suzuki keys check them for cracks. Both of my Suzuki keys have almost cracked in two. Luckily I noticed before they broke off in the gas tank when I needed gas!
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Replacement keys
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 05:56:16 PM »
Eh, a point worth mentioning...  Always make a copy of the factory key...  put the original key away (in the least used condition as possible).

Making copies of copies of copies on keys is just like doing it on a Xerox machine..  the further down the line you get from the original, the worse the outcome.

My factory key (the one I had) is locked in my safe with the title...  just like my other vehicles.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
Replacement keys
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 07:03:38 PM »
I recently got a key cut for my bandit since it only came with one. Just got it done by a local locksmith from the key I had (they do a better job than the hardware store).

When I got the key cut for my previous bike (yamaha zeal), the key had a number stamped on it that the locksmith used to look up in a book and then cut the key to the manufacturer's specifications based on the number rather than just making a copy of the original.
The bandit key didn't have a number on it, but I asked the locksmith and he said there might be one either on or near the fuel cap or near the helmet lock. I had a look and my bike does have a number stamped into the bottom of the fuel cap (have to open it to see it) so maybe that's the one? I didn't check but it'd be worth trying if your original key is out of shape. Or even worth writing down in case you lose your key (assuming it's the right number).

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
Replacement keys
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 01:24:04 PM »
Ya man, those Suzuki keys really are crap.  My original became twisted.  The Ilcos are signifcantly better.  ( I never would have thought I'd become picky about keys :roll: )

Offline MasterM3

• Board Homesteader!
Replacement keys
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 07:07:34 PM »
doh! found my key under my mattress. lesson learned, never chuck your clothes and keys around your room while drunk and searching for your bed  :beers:

i will look into those ilcos