Author Topic: GSXR K4 Swingarm Swap  (Read 59969 times)

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
Re: GSXR K4 Swingarm Swap
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2017, 11:25:16 AM »
Just for you Squishy!

I've only got a video of it running on the ramp at the moment

https://youtu.be/vPpUJgqWdzQ

It is in a 400 frame, GSXR400 GK76a, it's slightly different to the Bandit engine

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2017, 11:35:21 AM »
Ah, right  :banghead:
I could've sworn it was a bandit 400.

Anyway looking forward to seeing more videos... 1st drive, dyno, etc. etc. 

Dyno chart picture

:stickpoke: :clap:

What were the biggest issues you faced?

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2017, 11:56:58 AM »
The turbo kit was originally going on my 400 Bandit but once it was finished i didn't want to pull it apart so i started fresh with the GSXR

Other than everything being relatively small in terms of getting stuff to fit neatly, like hanging the turbo, mounting the fuel pump and regulator etc the biggest issues have been of parts compatibilty and mostly my own fault.

For example i was unaware of the 2 different crank triggers and CDIs not being compatible.

The engine is a 93' and when i bought it i had no wiring, so i found a loom and CDI for a good price - trouble was it was from a 90' bike so it just refused to start as the pick up lobes were in the wrong position.

When i swapped the crank trigger for the later one it fired straight up more or less.

Then i had the pulse/pick up coil fail which took a long time to find as a fault.

The head gasket had gone too, but that wasn't so much of a concern as i had to have the barrels off anyway to change the pistons.

The main thing has been making it all look neat and tidy - there is a lot of wiring and hoses that go with the turbo install and making it look right has been quite a headache.

As soon as i've been to the dyno i'll post the results

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2017, 01:12:20 PM »
What about feeding oil to the turbo? Is the stock 400 oil pump good enough?

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2017, 01:19:31 PM »
We'll soon find out  :grin:

In all seriousness turbos don't really need that much oil pressure, even plain bearing ones.

I've got a -3 hose coming from the ignition cover (which has a special threaded bit welded on) to feed oil to the turbo and that has a 1mm main jet in it to restrict the flow.

I have got the idle turned up to about 1800 rpm to maintain oil pressure on the advice of a guy who runs a GSXR500 drag bike