Author Topic: Quick questions (B4 'K')  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Brit-400

• TURBO TYPER!
Quick questions (B4 'K')
« on: May 11, 2006, 11:38:14 AM »
Couple of questions that ive wondered about!

1) I heard that GSX-R cams have more lift and less duration - what effects would this have on power/torque across the rev range?

2) What are bone stock power/torque figures for the 400 non vv jap spec model? I've read one place that it was 59hp and another about 52hp, any ideas?

3) Should my rev limiter cut in before an indicated 13,000 rpm on the rev counter?

4) My bike was restricted a couple of years back for insurance but the restrictors 'fell out' of the carbs.  Will it be running lean now? It seems to be a bit spluttery before it hits its powerband and when i roll on the throttle.

Thanks.
Thanks, Toby.

This post may be beer fuelled...

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Quick questions (B4 'K')
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 06:44:28 PM »
Hi Toby,
            GSXR cams should give slightly less power at the bottom end and slightly more at the top end . I say 'should' because both bikes are quoted the same power by Susuki.Susuki say 59hp, but they tend to quote power at the crank and this is more like 54 at the rear wheel.Their is a rev limiter that kicks in about 12500/13000 rpm but if your bike is a jap import it could still be restricted for the jap market , it depends who brought it to the ~UK and if they derestricted it (you have to put a resistor between one of the wires, I cannot remember were but Ill look on mine for you).I'm unsure about your flat spots, restrictors are usually washers that fit between your carbs and manifolds and so should not fall out. Also some kits change jets and some don't , so you need to know about your specific kit . The best thing to do is get a race can , ajet kit (dynojet's probably easiest inUK)and a K&N air filter (to fit stock box not separate ones ) this gives nice ride on the road.

Chris H.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Re: Quick questions (B4 'K')
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 10:49:18 PM »
Chris H:]Hi Toby,
            quoted the same power by Susuki. Susuki say 59hp,

Chris H.

LOL I would have to say the same, HUH very interesting another resticted by wire bike! resistor if i only new Its the damn green wire from the neutral switch to the cdi! Bastards ( I changed my harness)
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Brit-400

• TURBO TYPER!
Quick questions (B4 'K')
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 08:48:16 PM »
Excellent, thanks Chris. :)

Not sure if i'll bother with the GSX-R cams if they make that little difference then.

I dont think i'll worry about the revs being limited if there should be a limiter at about 12,500 - 13,000 rpm then as mine redlines about there.

When i say the restrictors 'fell out', i mean they *cough* "fell out" *cough* *wink*. Get me? :wink: Its ok though, im 21 and had my license over 4 years so its legal now. I just wondered if they'd fiddled with the carbs when the restrictors were fitted.

As for your advice on a race can, dynojet kit and K+N, thats exactly what i've got ready to be fitted. :wink: Might stick it on the dyno after setting up to see how healthy the old girl is. Reckon i could get over 60hp?

Cheers again for advice. :)
Thanks, Toby.

This post may be beer fuelled...