Author Topic: Wire Set  (Read 3106 times)

skootcha

Wire Set
« on: April 11, 2013, 06:26:48 PM »
Hi Guys,

I was just trying to troubleshoot my 1991 GSF400. I got it from a local bike shop who said they rebuilt the top end. It's supposed to be good to go but it seems buggy to me. The coolant hose on top was leaking, carb leak blah blah. Now it bogs.

I finally removed the tank and saw 1 vac plug on the carb missing! Nice work indeed....

So I may as well check the spark plugs... anyway, i accidentally pulled out the wire from the spark plug socket... any suggestions? I'm looking for a cheap wire set. Don't really want to dump too much $ into it. Maybe I can stuff the wire back in?

I'll have to check each plug as well as it seems like not all cylinders are firing... Then i'll try to tune the carb or just bite the bullet and let the pros dyno-tune it..

what a pain in the A$$...

HELP!!!

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Wire Set
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 11:42:06 PM »
Spark plug wire is cheap. But all you need to do is trim the wire until you can see clean wire (prob no more than a half inch of trimming). Then on the spark plug boot (where the wire pulled out) you should be able to pull back some rubber to find a threaded metal point which you simply screw this into the spark plug wire which attached to the coil pack.

skootcha

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:03:44 AM »
Thanks, sean. I'll do that. I kinda panicked and I'm pretty green to this. I did a bit of searching for plug wires anyway at amazon.com. Do you think the bandit would benefit from a better insulated, better conducting aftermarket wire?

Back to troubleshooting, I'll have to check further later. There's a different post on this forum regarding uneven exhaust temps. I think my carb will need retuning as well.

Thanks again.

Offline bullet5

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 10:50:12 AM »
Most coil pack are sealed, including the B4 ones.  So you can't just replace the cables, you need to replace the coil as well.  You can swap them for ones off another bike but that's unnecessary, just follow what Seans' said. You'll be home and dry in no time :thumb:

When I bought my B4 one of the cables had already been pulled out of the rubber boot, so I can vouch for the method mentioned above. :beers:

All the best,
Bullet5.

Offline AlanDog

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 12:53:41 AM »
Just to warn you about my experience: I bought an automotive wire set from an auto parts store figuring that I was just going to cut and trim the wires anyways, and when I removed the insulation I found the core conductor to be a tiny hair thin wire. I ended up getting these online: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BWAEFI they have a true braided copper core and enough wire for a few bikes. It does seem a little sketchy to simply screw in the wire into the plugs and coils, but it seems to work.

skootcha

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 12:21:42 PM »
Thanks guys. Didn't have time to do anything to the bike this weekend... quite sad.  :duh: So here's my plan:

1. Check for sparks, double check connections. I'm sure the ignitors work.. the bike ran prior to this. My case sounds exactly the post on uneven exhaust temps. Mine dies out once it's hot.
2. Double check valve clearances. The shop rebuilt it he said. He said he even did the carbs..
3. Replace all carb needles and floats to new. Any suggestions where to buy them cheap and good online?
4. Do a rough tune to get it running.
5. Send to a proper shop and get them to tune it. Save me the hassle of tuning 4 carbs perfectly.

skootcha

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 12:23:16 PM »
Oh and mine's completely stock