Author Topic: Hey All  (Read 9245 times)

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
Hey All
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 07:42:17 AM »
Hit the rubber with WD40, wipe them clean, then spray them again and push them on!  :beers:
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Hey All
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 08:54:10 AM »
Yeah - what he ^^^ said.  Obviously, make sure the clamps are open enough, too.  There is a positive "pop" when they are all the way in.  I find that putting the airbox back on the carbs is harder than putting the carbs back on the motor.  WD40 works well there, too.  Also, just put on the bottom half of the airbox so you can reach inside each intake to fit it on.

Good luck.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Hey All
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 11:32:14 AM »
Get someone to hold your front brake while you push. After you get the bike running those rubber pieces will soften up and putting the carbs on will be easy.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Sierra2

• TURBO TYPER!
Hey All
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 03:41:53 PM »
Thanks I'll give it a go. I tried it dry (no WD40) and...... let's just say I made up a few new words. I don't have a heated shop so the rubber is a little inflexible! ( was down to - 27 C) ..( about - 20 for you farenhieght boys)
@#$#@$%@ bloody knuckles!

I can't wait until spring......... :banana:
...better to say nothing and have them think you're a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Offline Sierra2

• TURBO TYPER!
Hey All
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2006, 12:58:39 AM »
Well now I've adjusted the needle valve one notch, and cleaned out the carbs. Put it back together, but wasn't getting any fuel. Turned out after much frustration, that some sort of little critter chose my vaccum line to die in. His crusty little corpse completely plugged the line. Anyway I got that cleaned out, but she still won't start. Needless to say I'm a frigging expert now at pulling the carbs off and sticking them back on again. I'm getting spark, fuel, and it fires a little, but still no joy. I took it out of the cold and put in our heated dog kennel building....(much to my wifes dismay) I'm hoping the heat will dry up any moisture on the plug wires.

I don't know, maybe it's a stretch......

Any suggestions???
 :bouncy: (I just like this one!!)
Pete
...better to say nothing and have them think you're a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Hey All
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2006, 02:17:12 AM »
If you're getting a fat spark on all plugs, moisture on plug wires is probably not the issue.

Have you tried a little starting fluid to get it lit initially?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Sierra2

• TURBO TYPER!
Hey All
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2006, 07:41:55 AM »
I thought about it....but past experience leads me to believe that that stuff causes more damage than good. It's been in the warm building for about 8 hrs now. I'll light it up and see. I might have to give in and bring it to the shop to see what they can do (besides take all my money!! :crybaby: )

Pete

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Hey All
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2006, 08:34:24 AM »
Pete - you've giving it enough time to fill the bowls, right?  Without a prime position on the stock petcock, it you have to crank seemingly forever to get it to fire once the carbs have been drained.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Hey All
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2006, 10:09:23 AM »
Maybe this is a difference between the US and Canadian market bikes, but my bike does have a prime position. It isn't marked, but if you go to the run position, then turn a quarter turn to reserve then try to turn another quarter turn, you will be stopped by a philips head screw on the petcock. Remove this screw and you will be able to turn the additional quarter turn to prime position.
Anyway, like Rob suggested, turn to prime and give the carb bowls time to fill.
I would also carefully check all the vacuum lines and the carb boots for leaks. Even a small leak could cause it to fire up a bit, then die.
Also Pete, as a word of encouragement, I wouldn't be too quick to give up and take it to the shop. You seem to be willing to do a bit of work on it, and in my experience these bikes are pretty reliable on the big things. It's little stuff like vacuum leaks or leaky carb o-rings etc. that screw up. If you have a bit of patience, you can probably sort it out yourself.
Besides, I live in Eastern Ontario like you, and you're not riding anytime soon anyway.
 :stickpoke:
Regards,
Steve
1991 B4

Offline Sierra2

• TURBO TYPER!
Hey All
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2006, 10:26:35 AM »
Good call Rob!

There is no "prime" position on the petcock. But after reading Steve's reply maybe there is!!

I did get it to fire and after ALOT of coaxing it ran for a minute or so but it seemed like it was only firing on 2 or 3 cylinders. A weak pulse but a pulse just the same.

I took a really hard look at the vaccum line last night and I don't think that's the problem. More likely that I missed some bit of grime in some hidden but important spot on the carbs somewhere.

Thanks for the encouragement Steve.......ya...ya...Spring ain't here yet.....but I intend on being able to ride  :motorsmile: the instant the weather breaks!!

Thanks to you guys I think I'll stay away from the shop a little bit longer..... :beers:

Pete

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Hey All
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2006, 04:44:37 PM »
Hey Pete you have a Canadian bike and it has prime, turn the handle so it faces up

Offline Sierra2

• TURBO TYPER!
Hey All
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2006, 07:46:33 PM »
I'm learning something everytime I turn on my computer..... :duh:

Thanks Thief!

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Hey All
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2006, 08:08:47 PM »
hey maybe we can get some of the Ontario guys together for a ride this summer ???? I'm up here in the GREAT WHITE NORTH but can travel

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Hey All
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2006, 10:28:31 PM »
I thought there was a simple mod to give the B4's with no prime position one... thought it was something as simple as removing a screw or something.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Hey All
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2006, 10:47:41 PM »
Yeah - there's a screw just above the RES setting.  Remove that and you can turn it straight up to prime (unmarked).
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7