Author Topic: How fast can you go?  (Read 11070 times)

Offline jonno007

• TURBO TYPER!
How fast can you go?
« on: February 06, 2006, 09:10:14 AM »
took the bike out tonight to stretch its legs. Got 140kph going into the wind (and its quite strong wind) gsf250 gj74a. would love to hear if any of you have expirienced greater speeds on this bike or similar.

:beers:
1990 GSF250 Bandit (GJ74A)

Offline Greg

• TURBO TYPER!
How fast can you go?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 06:19:06 PM »
Have had my '94 going an indicated 140 for a short burst a couple of times.  All I can say is make sure you don't have a helmet with a tendancy to pull your head off.

Offline jonno007

• TURBO TYPER!
How fast can you go?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 11:34:45 PM »
Funny you should say that, the helmet I have is so comfortable and neatly fitting, but it does pull off my head at those speeds. When I bought it the sales staff sorted out the size and everything as I don't have a clue about helmets.
  Lifting off my head can't be good is it? :lol:
1990 GSF250 Bandit (GJ74A)

Offline kbraz

• New user!
How fast can you go?
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 05:26:58 AM »
My partener had my '90 b250 at an indicated 170kph. Not too shabby  :grin:
'90 Bandit 250 Black

www.ozsportsbikes.com

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
How fast can you go?
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 05:55:56 AM »
That's almost as fast as my wifes M750, (190km and will go no further)..... I didn't realise how fast the little b250 was......

jonno007 Posted: 07/02/06 01:34    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny you should say that, the helmet I have is so comfortable and neatly fitting, but it does pull off my head at those speeds. When I bought it the sales staff sorted out the size and everything as I don't have a clue about helmets.
Lifting off my head can't be good is it?  

I had the same problem with my AGV on my last bike (GSX600F) but not so much of an issue on the B12.  However, the HJC now lifts at speed, but didn't before.

I think it's a combination of the bikes and helmets aerodynamics, maybe RED or someone more knowledgeable than me could explain it...
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
How fast can you go?
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 11:21:55 AM »
I had a 1990 Golf diesel (1600cc) that was doing indicated 210Kph all the time. The speedo was junk, of course, but "indicated" is what matters, right? Get serious and don't bother posting any indicated speeds unless they were indicated on a radar or GPS. All other figures are totally useless.
Vlad lives in Toronto, Canada and rides http://bandit.xxc.cc

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
How fast can you go?
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 05:08:49 AM »
vlad Posted: 08/02/06 01:21    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a 1990 Golf diesel (1600cc) that was doing indicated 210Kph all the time. The speedo was junk, of course, but "indicated" is what matters, right? Get serious and don't bother posting any indicated speeds unless they were indicated on a radar or GPS. All other figures are totally useless.

Unfortunately, not everyone can get a speed reading from a GPS, and to be honest I don't want one from a Radar 'cause that would usually mean 'goodbye' to my licence.

If people say their speed was 'indicated on a speedo' at least that allows the reader to either dismiss the claim or allow some 'adjustment' for speedo accuracy.  

Besides what's to stop someone from saying "I had a Datsun 120Y that was clocked at 160km/hr, and I've got the speed camera photo to prove it"

Yes folks, it did happen and the Victorian Government had to eat humble pie after that very same car struggled to get to 120km/hr on a race track -even  radars can lie......
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline kbraz

• New user!
How fast can you go?
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 05:31:32 AM »
Quote from: "aussiebandit"
That's almost as fast as my wifes M750, (190km and will go no further)..... I didn't realise how fast the little b250 was.....

Apparently it still had some left too...hopefully one day i'll be able to have a look see for myself :grin:
'90 Bandit 250 Black

www.ozsportsbikes.com

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
How fast can you go?
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 06:31:34 AM »
Don't forget the old saying

"Anyone can go fast in a straight line, but it takes real skill to go fast round corners"

I've been rounded up and past in tight corners by people on "lesser bikes", it wasn't the bike, it was the rider.....
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline kbraz

• New user!
How fast can you go?
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 07:07:37 AM »
Definately agree with that saying.

I kinda meant being able to ride my bike:motorsmile: ..you know, licensed and with a little confidence :roll:
(I am just learning how to do u-turns and fun stuff like that... riding round the block lol)
'90 Bandit 250 Black

www.ozsportsbikes.com

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
How fast can you go?
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 01:35:57 AM »
At least your partner didn't do to you what I did to my wife when she got her learners permit.

One week on the learners and convinced her to go on a group ride from Wagga to Talbingo via some back roads and the Hwy (around a 300km round trip) riding an old CD250U.   That was 4 years ago, and she still hasn't completely forgiven me, but it did teach her alot in a short space of time...

The treasurer now rides an M750 and is never far behind the 'big boys'.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline macca11010

• TURBO TYPER!
How fast can you go?
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 03:16:57 PM »
This is a pretty good topic fellas :beers:  I rebuilt my little bandit about 6mths ago ( The previous owner, a mate of mine, overreved the poor little girl one to many times and took out one of the intake valves) I had never ridden it befor that and was never sure if I had done a good job, all the appropiate vitals where there (compression, spark and no smoke black or blue),and I could get about 155km/h from her, Yes VLAD I realize it's not accurate but we don't always have to be so picky do we?!?!? :stickpoke:  So I guess what I'm trying to say is this thred has put my mind at ease. Cheers :thanks:  :banana:  :bigok:

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
How fast can you go?
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 04:00:06 PM »
I admit I'm picky when it comes to any measuring. What's the purpose of taking a measure when you know your yardstick is not even close to accurate and you don't even aproximately know by how much it's off? As far as I'm concerned motorcycle speedometers do not deserve to be called measuring instruments.

That said (ranted :) ), I'm glad this thread was of use to you. I just wish we all had GPS to do proper comparisons. GPS is not perfect either, but when it errs it's by so much that it's easy to eliminate. Like reading 270Kph because it didn't "see" the satellites under the overpass or in a short tunnel. That one reading stands out in the log like a sore thumb :).

Offline macca11010

• TURBO TYPER!
How fast can you go?
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 04:28:44 PM »
Fair enough.. But this all wont be a problem when the old Kawa 750 has been reborn!!!! (insert evil laugh here) When that happens I doubt I'll have time to look at the speedo :wink:  :beers:  :bigok:  :banana:  :banana:

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
How fast can you go?
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 06:00:39 PM »
Quote from: "macca11010"
Fair enough.. But this all wont be a problem when the old Kawa 750 has been reborn!!!! (insert evil laugh here) When that happens I doubt I'll have time to look at the speedo :wink:  :beers:  :bigok:  :banana:  :banana:

I can relate to that. I had a 1981 Z750 and there was no way I'd look at the speedo above 170. It was just too scary :).