Author Topic: I've become a statistic :(  (Read 12263 times)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
I've become a statistic :(
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 10:39:37 AM »
It really depends on what the other witnesses said.

I know when a buddy of mine wrecked he was passing a family in a station wagon. He was doing 180 kms on a service road (stupid, yes). He hit a pothole and lost control of the bike. The driver of the wagon was extremely kind and said he was going 20 km's over the limit. The cops asked him "off the record" how fast where you really going. He gave them the honest answer and they said that's what they figured by the marks. He only ended up with a 20 over ticket and a huge repair bill... the cops could have gave him careless, but with the witnesses testimony that would have been hard to prove.

Once you ask for disclosure you should get all the notes the cops took from all the various witnesses. You can build your case from that.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Stealth

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 11:06:47 AM »
Quote from: "Sven"
Assuming I understand the layout of the street, there are two lanes.  First question:  Was there really two lanes, or is the street just wide enough that you created a "right lane"?  If there really are two lanes, why was a car parked in one of the lanes...was the car parked legally or should it have been ticketed/towed?

I would definitely stop saying or posting "I was attempting to overtake (that is, "pass") a car to my left.  I would say "when I say there was a vehicle (improperly) parked in my lane, I attempted to merge into the left lane."  This is no less true that what you've said, but it has a more positive  spin.  If anyone asks why you were trying to get ahead of another vehicle, I'll bet the answer is "Because the vehicles on the left wouldn't let me in between them."  Therefore, if asked, you can state that you were trying to merge, and to do so, you were trying to get ahead of a couple cars because they did not seem to realize your lane was blocked ahead.

Again, not suggesting you lie, but there are a million little calculations we make when riding/driving.  Sure, you can look bad and say you made a bad judgement, but you have every right to present the decision you made in the best light possible.

You want to avoid sounding reckless or careless.  I would avoid saying "I panicked" and would say "By the time I realized the cars to my left were not going to let me merge, I was closer to the illegally parked car than I realized, and had to stop suddenly.  While I attempted to avoid hitting the parked car, since I was in a blind curve, my distance visibility was limited, and I was unable to stop in time.  I knew that I didn't want to get hit by a moving vehicle."

Anyway, you get the idea.  Again, not advocating you lie.  Don't paint yourself as being the most noble, put-upon motorcyclist that ever rode, but make it sound like your actions were reasonable and considered, and that it was the actions of the illegally parked car and the other drivers who forced you into a situation that you were unable to react to in time.

Good luck....

There were 2 lanes, and Im not sure if the car is legally allowed to park there or not.

Although,

1 of the witnesses describe me as being "extremely fast" which was not true at all, at most i was 10km's over the speed limit. Like all of you know, the Bandit 400 doesnt have much power so you have to rev the crap out of them. the bike was so loud, that the stupid old lady thought I was going atleast 80. The speed limit on the street was 50km/hr and i was going in the range of 55-60km/hr

According to that little link above, "a persons judgement of speed is thought to be excellent" but the cop did not charge me for speeding. Later today i am going to go back to the scene of the accident and take some pictures.

Offline Stealth

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 03:20:24 PM »
I went to the towing company that took my bike...

I saw what happend to her.

Both handle bars are bent, mirrors are broken off, left engine casing is destroyed, Shifter is bent, Gas tank is bent on top.
The frame has a dent in it on the left side <- could this make it a write-off?

Tail Fairing is broken off on the left side, one of the brakes are seized.

Other than that, She looks as beautiful as ever  :boohoo:

Im in a dilemma right now.

Should I fix her up and spend a million or should I sell for parts or should I sell as parts?

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 04:04:57 PM »
its a right off because of the dent in the frame part it out buy another one! :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 04:07:11 PM »
I can't imagine that there would be any economic logic to repairing it...I would have to believe the bike is totalled.

Depending on your insurance coverage, the worth in taking a write-off and walking away, or buying it from the insurance company as salvage to part-out is something you'll have decide...does it make sense from a time perspective as well as a money perspective?  How much effort do you want to put into this?

I guess the other unknown is how "perfect" you want to the bike to be if you repair it.

So...all questions you have to answer for yourself, I guess.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 04:27:23 PM »
Is the frame "bent" meaning the direction of the tubing has changed or just flat-spotted?  About half of the B4s I've seen have a flat spot on the frame below the tank on one side or the other (or BOTH!).
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Stealth

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2006, 12:56:32 AM »
What do you mean by "flat spot"?

The tubing is not bent, its dented.

And Sven:

My insurance coverage didn't include collision coverage so thats why I was wondering. The big factor in deciding to part out or to repair is the dent in the Frame. I dont think its a write off though.

Oh and by the way, Is anyone parting out a Bandit 400?
Does anyone have a left crankcase cover they are willing to sell?

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 01:19:14 PM »
How long have you had the bike? If it's more than 6 months, perhaps you might want to start looking for a 600-650cc bike.

I myself am in the hunt for a red 2001 SV650 (the last year they came in red with the old frame).

Maybe it's just time to move on.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2006, 03:15:13 PM »
It's hard to comment without seeing pictures.

But it really depends on how nice you want the bike to look when you're finished. If you're goning to have to repair and repaint you might be better off selling it for parts or as a track bike and picking up something else (or even another bandit). No point in spending thousands of dollars on a bike that's only worth that...

I say this from experience. I've dumped thousands into my bike keeping it on the road, when I could have sold it and bought something newer with less issues.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline Stealth

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2006, 05:47:34 PM »
Heres the pictures of the bike and its damages.

^Notice the dents in the gas tank and the bent handlebars

^rear fairing broke off

^Heres the "dent" in the frame <(is it a write-off?), You can also see how the crankcase cover has shattered.

^Rear fairing is cracked, Rear brake foot handle is bent, more gas tank dents

^This is a weird one, I cant tell if the rear fairing is bent, or the sub-frame is bent? or just the license plate holder? The Swingarm is perfectly fine.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2006, 06:15:23 PM »
It's probably not the subframe but the U-plate where the mudguard attaches to. You can fix this by attaching a long piece of metal to this plate and bend it back. The frame will need some grinding and welding if you are going to keep the bike.

Offline Stealth

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2006, 06:23:29 PM »
why does it need grinding and welding? and where?

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2006, 06:57:39 PM »
It doesn't look too bad. I wouldn't worry about that dent in the frame (but I'm no expert). The dents on the tank aren't too brutal either. Bars are cheap and easy to change. Tail pastic shouldn't be too hard to come by over the winter...

The big question is: did the little bugger shut itself off before all the oil leaked out? I'd wanna make sure the motor isn't seized before I did anything.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline Stealth

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2006, 07:47:14 PM »
Quote from: "interfuse"
It doesn't look too bad. I wouldn't worry about that dent in the frame (but I'm no expert). The dents on the tank aren't too brutal either. Bars are cheap and easy to change. Tail pastic shouldn't be too hard to come by over the winter...

The big question is: did the little bugger shut itself off before all the oil leaked out? I'd wanna make sure the motor isn't seized before I did anything.

When I awoke from unconsciousness, I saw that the engine was stopped. When the bike arrived to my place, I noticed that the engine cut off switch was on "off"
But im not too sure whether or not is was on the off position before oil leaked out, how can I test whether or not its seized? is it unsafe to try to electric start and see if it turns over?

*Edit*
I just made a new discovery! the point where the 4 pipes turn into 1, 1 of the pipes was completely ripped apart from the rest of it.