Author Topic: GSF250V 40k km major service queries  (Read 1981 times)

Offline low-key

• New user!
GSF250V 40k km major service queries
« on: August 01, 2008, 01:46:15 AM »
Hi all,

Brand new here :D please bear with me...

I have an '00 GSF250V that is coming up on 40,000km (~25,000mi) and want to give it a major service.

I know very little about the history of the bike, was previously owned by a guy who wrenched bikes himself. I've had it since ~31,000km.

I have done oil & filter changes twice, also replace the chain myself, but everything else has been fine.

Recently I have had trouble starting the bike, and when idling and having the indicators on, the headlight dims in concert with it. I am thinking it may be the battery? Or perhaps the regulator...

EDIT: I have read http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=1863.0 and my measured voltages all match up...I am mystified...

Also, I have noticed the idling has been a little rough, could this be carb sync, or plugs?

I have noticed that from 5-6k RPM my bike kinda 'resonates'. Is it normal?

Valve clearances. Given I have no idea if this has been done before, I did want it checked & adjusted, but the service guy at the local Suzuki dealer said they won't do it as it's not necessary on the 'V' model? Surely this is wrong?

I have a feeling that the dealer will want to charge me ~$500 to do carb sync, plugs, brakes, and test my battery theory. I daresay I could add another $200 onto that for adjusting the valve clearances. I reckon I can do all of this myself, though who wants to spend a weekend out in the cold garage doing it? :D

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 02:07:52 AM by low-key »

Offline low-key

• New user!
Re: GSF250V 40k km major service queries
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 09:25:10 PM »
Okay, went in and got the carbs synced, plugs replaced and all brakes done. (Front pads were on metal! Got them replaced)

Was AUD260 for the above. So not so bad. :)

They didn't check the battery, though. Sigh.

From a quick ride last night the idle problem is gone, not sure if the resonating problem is fixed yet.

My valve query still stands. ;)