Author Topic: I need readable '93 (gsf400P) wiring diagrams  (Read 11046 times)

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
I need readable '93 (gsf400P) wiring diagrams
« on: April 27, 2008, 05:51:08 PM »
Hey all, I desperately need a readable set of wiring diagrams for a US P model. Anyone got a decent scan?

The wiring diagrams in the readily available sources are either not-applicable, i.e. don't match a '93, or are illegible.

Here's why:

1. the 7th wire from the CDI -- green/yellow that supposedly runs to the gear position indicator is hanging loose on my bike with no matching part for it to plug into. I really want to know exactly how this all goes together so I can figure out what I should be doing with this wire...

2. My side stand switch is missing with no open connectors to which it would normally connect. I assume someone has modded those wires so that the thing will run, but it would be nice to se how it really goes.

3. other stuff?

thanks

A

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Re: I need readable '93 (gsf400P) wiring diagrams
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 10:02:24 PM »
And hey, as an alternative, I could use a very clear description of the 7th cdi wire (yellow/green) and it's path, particularly how it connects to the gear indicator switch *and* what wires come out of that switch and where they go. photos would be awesome too....

I think I have the incorrect switch leaving my 7th wire hanging loose...

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 10:56:12 PM »
Check out the second link in Jay's post here.  Pretty darn clear scans!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 11:15:12 PM »
Well, those scans are pretty good... they don't make my eyes bleed like some of the ones I have, so that's great, thanks! but...

no go. It doesn't show the limiter wire... only six wires coming out of the cdi...

any other help out there?

A

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 11:58:13 PM »
Then clearly you don't need it!   Just cut it off and it'll be just like the diagram.  :stickpoke: 

I had a scan that I think included the P but my hard drive crashed.   :duh:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 07:50:47 AM »
If your running without it then it does matter as presumably it's limiting him to lower power in all the gears. that wire and only one wire comes out of the gear indicator swith and runs up through the frame to a connector in the back of the tank area. then from there it runs again to the cdi.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 11:55:08 AM »
Thanks PitterB4...  :roll:  heh. it actually runs just fine except performance goes to shit up above 80-90 mph in 5th and 6th, though why it doesn't in the lower gears is beyond me, because in theory the damn thing can't tell what gear I'm in.

I think BanditMax is right, potentially I'm limited all the time. It must not be enough to really show in the lower gears... gear ratio is disguising it and I don't have a known non-limited bandit to compare to.

The way mine is currently setup, there is a wire (one wire only) coming from the neutral/gear indicator switch located behind the sprocket cover, just forward of the gear-shift shaft. That wire runs up to the rear of the tank, sort of behind the reg/rect and from there heads off to the neutral/sidestand relays and ultimately to the neutral light on the dash.

It does *not* and cannot (wrong connector) hook to the extra wire coming off the cdi.

If I understand you correctly, the P's have a completely different setup? Some other set of circuits runs the neutral relays etc? What you describe, a single wire from the switch, runs up and connects with a bullet connector to the yellow/green wire that comes out of the wiring harness, along with a few others, just before the harness heads up over the air box, right? Maybe I'll take some pictures and throw them up here.

My switch, btw, has only two states. open circuit/max resistance in any gear and closed circuit/min resistance in neutral. It clearly is not the right switch to handle the P model cdi, so far as I can tell. The microfische only shows one version of the part (figure 19, item 38, part no. 37720-32c00) for all models, so that just makes me more confused.

From my reading of past threads, it appears that the proper switch should provide three states. About 1k ohm in lower gears, about 2k ohm in higher gears, and 0 ohm in neutral. So in theory I'm getting neutral indicated performance all the time, whatever that might be.

I'm going to have to break down and go ask the dealer if I can look at their wiring diagram... if they have one. And maybe a trip to radio shack and start sticking some resistors in there and see what happens.

A

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 12:00:51 PM »
I have a B4 service manual, I can check tonight to see if a separate wiring diagram is include for this "P" model you mention. I wouldn't be able to scan it 'till tomorrow, as my home scanner is kaput and I work in NYC (where I have access to a scanner). Mine is also a '93 model, although I don't think the manual is year-specific.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 12:19:02 PM »
Hey thanks VidRazor, that's great :thanks:. If you look at those wiring diagrams, the igniter is the part of interest. *All* the diagrams I've seen show only 6 wires out of the it. Some diagrams show *space* for a seventh wire but no actual wire...  :annoy:

And if not, if you think you've got a pretty stock wiring harness, any insight you could give from your setup would be great.

A

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:24:51 PM »
I think i have mucked up there actually it may well have 2 wires from the switch.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 01:16:17 PM »
It's tricky... the oil pressure wire runs from the filter cover back under the left side and then runs with the gear switch one together back up under the tank. Also my gear switch wire is running in a housing and it's entirely possible that there are two wires in there... one of them cut. I'll have to pull it to see for sure.

And I just learned from jay that there is a diode in the switch which means my multi-testing may have had the wrong polarity to properly test that switch... back to it I go here... raining anyway...

A

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 02:08:11 PM »
I have a B4 service manual, I can check tonight to see if a separate wiring diagram is include for this "P" model you mention. I wouldn't be able to scan it 'till tomorrow, as my home scanner is kaput and I work in NYC (where I have access to a scanner). Mine is also a '93 model, although I don't think the manual is year-specific.

There are P-specific amendments to the manual including a wiring diagram if you have a '93 manual ("P" is the designation for the US, non-CA, '93 bike). 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 02:09:32 PM »
Restriction is only on jap bikes i think

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 01:36:55 PM »
OK, I scanned the info, where do you want me to send this? It's just under 12 megs.  :wink:

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 01:54:24 PM »
I just PM'ed my email address to you...