Author Topic: Carb problems - need ideas where to look.  (Read 4379 times)

Offline VW_NUT

• Board Homesteader!
Carb problems - need ideas where to look.
« on: May 19, 2008, 09:28:08 AM »
Hi everyone,

So Hangin_biposto's project is coming along well (she needs to update the thread here). 

I went to fire the bike up yesterday and get the carbs synched, however, I had some trouble.  All of this was done with the bike sitting in the driveway as there are a few things that still need to be installed before it can be ridden.

The bike will start and idle decently.  When you rev up the bike it sounds ok, but will quickly load up.  If you snap the throttle too quickly it will actually load up and stall.  If you can keep it running after stalling it will eventually clear out and run ok, until you goose the throttle again.

The bike has the factory pro kit installed with 97 main, stock slow jets, 2.25 turns on the fuel screw and needle was on the middle clip.  Bike is stock except for a cobra slip on muffler. 

Any ideas where to look?  I don't think its a "tuning" thing as much as it is something not right because it will load up so rich it stalls. 

Offline VW_NUT

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Carb problems - need ideas where to look.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 09:37:30 AM »
also, just to make sure I installed the needle correctly, here is a picture of the needle.

From left to right circlip, plastic washer, and the piece that holds it in the slide. (sorry about the pic quality its my cellphone camera)

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 10:28:05 AM »
nope plastic hat thingy on bottom goes on top
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline VW_NUT

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 10:35:16 AM »
So the plastic hat thingie (on the right) goes on top of the needle?? :duh:

So the proper order from left to right is plastic hat, needle clip, plastic washer?

That would definately explain why the bike was so rich when I pulled the throttle.

Thanks GSXR 400 racer!!   :beers:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 11:04:14 AM by VW_NUT »

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 11:38:21 AM »
Yes sir, no problem
cheers
Jay
GSXR400 RACER TEMPORARALY RETIRED
" HELPING B4 RIDERS ONE CLICK AT A TIME." lol
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 11:40:00 AM by gsxr400 racer »
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline hangin_biposto

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 03:55:28 PM »
Hey guys,

This makes me wonder if anything else was assembled improperly. I believe the previous owner of the bike took the carbs apart in an attempt to clean them, and I think he may have done more harm than good. When we took them apart to clean them and install the Factory Pro kit, we assembled them just as they had been taken apart. Doh!

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 06:43:29 PM »
Nothing else in there that i can think could be put in the wrong way.

Offline VW_NUT

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 09:15:57 AM »
:beers: Thanks again GSXR400Racer!!!  The bike runs great now that I have the plastic hat on the right side of the needle!   :duh:

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 09:21:41 AM »
Woo thats good.

Offline VW_NUT

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »
Fired the bike up again last night to synch the carbs.  I got carbs 1&2 and 3&4 synched together, but I couldn't synch the middle screw because they bottom spring was all sacked out. 

I need to find a new spring.  I am thinking the hardware store might work better than the dealer.  If only there were still old fashioned hardware stores not just lowes and home depot.

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 09:13:27 AM »
I reckon the dealer or if someone on here has a spare will be a better bet than the hardware store as generrally the springs in hardware stores are made from thin wire which isn't strong enough for the job.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 12:56:52 PM »
Fired the bike up again last night to synch the carbs.  I got carbs 1&2 and 3&4 synched together, but I couldn't synch the middle screw because they bottom spring was all sacked out. 

I need to find a new spring.  I am thinking the hardware store might work better than the dealer.  If only there were still old fashioned hardware stores not just lowes and home depot.

I have a bunch email me private and i will post some to you

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 06:21:31 PM »
One thing you should remember if youve had the needles out are the tiny orings that stick to the top cap then fall off never to be seen again?