Author Topic: New B4 owner, got some questions...  (Read 3120 times)

Offline coreytrevortpb

• New user!
New B4 owner, got some questions...
« on: February 07, 2007, 10:50:21 PM »
Hello,
I just got a 1991 B4 a couple months ago and now that it is too cold to ride I have been planning some mods.  
1.) Clipon handlebar conversion- I read the FAQ on this but I still am not sure.  I want to lose the stock bars and put some clipons on but will all my controls and stuff just swap from the old bars right onto the clipons?  I am going to replace the headlight with an Acerbis Cyclops headlight at the same time so I don't think the headlight bracket will get in the way.  Also, has anyone successfully used a top triple clamp from another bike to do this conversion?  I saw that one guy on the FAQ thread tried the swap with a katana clamp and it didnt quite fit.  

2.) Exhaust- anyone ever used a micron pipe on their B4? I really dig the looks of the black to red fade (bike is red).  If so, how would you describe the sound? I want something that isn't going to disturb the neighbors too bad but still sounds mean when you let it rip.

3.) Jet kit- I have read that B4's are jetted lean from the factory.  I havent torn into mine yet to read plugs or anything but I would assume that I could benefit by rejetting?  The bike runs great but is pretty dead below 8000 rpm, after that it rips though.  Also, the factory-pro website says to switch to a cbr thermostat. Anyone tried this and did it make a diff? Thanks in advance!

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 12:25:13 PM »
Welcome your ok with the clip ons and mounting , gsxr400 gk73 top clamp or mill yours off or find a b4 top clamp that had clip ons

If the slipon is fairly new the packing should all be in it so you should be ok

havent tried the cbr themostate but have tried several other options havent seen any difference, yes a jet kit is worth having
cheers
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 02:42:28 PM »
1. I read the post in the FAQ's you were talking about---the Katana triple clamp not working, but I've seen instances where they do.  Try to find the earliest modle Katana clamp you can.  

2. I cant vouch for the Micron, but I just repacked my Yosh and it sounds good, no, great.  IMHO most 4 into 1's have a relatively similar sound, it may only be a matter of how loud one is compared to another.  

3. I have a Factory pro kit in mine, I'm using their suggested settings on the clip.  If I remember, someone please correct if I'm wrong, the Factory Pro actually has a smaller main jet.  I thought this was strange since it would then lean out an already lean carb.  What did I know, with their kit the bike ran MUCH better.
I have read that B4's are jetted lean from the factory.
Ya, maybe, but now with the Factory Pro kit I'm surprised how well mine runs, especially in the lower RPM's.  It's kind or weird because it's such a small engine and it should suck.  It doesn't.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 04:18:02 PM »
Yes you can just swap the controls.  You end up with some excess wires you have to hide but if you're changing your headlight, hiding the little bit from moving the bars will be the least of your worries!

The FP jet kit does come with smaller mains.  However the needles are much narrower so you net more flow.  

Do a search in this forum on "thermostat" or maybe just "stat".  A couple guys have switched to a higher temp stat and IIRC, they liked it.  Randy/Tomacgti (or something like that) was one of them.

Good luck dude.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 08:36:59 PM »
Did you see this?
Serendipitous

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 09:02:51 PM »
Quote from: "duane"
Did you see this?
Serendipitous

Hey - that guy is a member here!  It's Jim from Fabritech designs.  He did most of the decals on my track bike.  Good guy!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline k4y_d1

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 09:28:11 PM »
Quote from: "duane"

2. I cant vouch for the Micron, but I just repacked my Yosh and it sounds good, no, great.  IMHO most 4 into 1's have a relatively similar sound, it may only be a matter of how loud one is compared to another.  

Hello, does anybody have links or some pics of the Yosh muffler? my b4 is on standard muffler, and i heard that using Yosh will be great!!
thanks a lot!!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 02:41:14 PM »
Quote from: "k4y_d1"
Hello, does anybody have links or some pics of the Yosh muffler? my b4 is on standard muffler, and i heard that using Yosh will be great!!
thanks a lot!!

At the moment, there's a B4 up for auction on ebay that has a Yosh pipe on it. Click here to go to the B4 auction page.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline coreytrevortpb

• New user!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 04:03:27 PM »
Thanks for the replys.  I ended up buying a used yoshi slip on via ebay.  Unfortunately I am currently working/living in a different state than where my bike is so I won't get to do any work on it for about a month when I return home.  I am probably going to try some clip ons but leave the stock triple clamp for a while in case I want to switch back to the standard bars.  Sounds like the FP jet kit is the way to go.  Their website sure is helpful.  Thanks again.