Author Topic: Is my rectifier/regulator broken?  (Read 4537 times)

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
Is my rectifier/regulator broken?
« on: September 14, 2013, 04:46:05 PM »
Hello,

History: right before a 3000km trip, my battery was dead. I push-started it and it was fine for 2 days - it would start from the starter.
After 2 days, battery was dead for some days and wouldn't recharge for 3 days...only to work 1 day and then die again.
I went to a garage and it measured ~11V with running engine and the guy said it was either my generator or my regulator/rectifier.

Anyway, once I was home I measured the battery and it was dead.. went to 3V while pressing start button.
I bought a new battery, and it started right up.

However, when I now measure the voltage on the the battery with running engine (5000rpm, lights on according to the manual), I still only measure ~13,3V while it should be >13.5V - <15.5V.
I recorded a movie to show the problem:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22072961/MF/2013-09-14%2011.39.02.mp4
(19MB)

It even drops <13V sometimes:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22072961/MF/2013-09-14%2011.33.04.mp4
(10MB)

So I measured the AC generator according to the manual and it's OK (75V AC).
I then measured the rectifier/regulator and from the measurements it seems dead. I get infinite resistance on all wires.

However I asked around and some say it's OK as long as the voltage with running battery is higher than the battery? Which it is..it goes from 12.8V to >13V-13.5V as seen on the video.
What do you guys think? What do/did you guys measure with running engine?

Thanks

Offline Mechannibalism

• Board Regular!
Re: Is my rectifier/regulator broken?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 10:08:45 PM »
I'ts too low, agood reading should be 13.8v +  try the test again with the headlights on and you should see it drop even lower.

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 05:45:50 AM »
I'ts too low, agood reading should be 13.8v +  try the test again with the headlights on and you should see it drop even lower.
Thanks for your reply.
As you can see i turn the headlights on in tthe video.
Is <13.5 a sign of bad rectifier or can it be something like bad connectors or wiring?
Can I measure voltage right on the rectifier (while still attached to the AC generator) instead of on the battery?
Can I measure the rectifier's resistance with  any regular voltmeter? I heard it's possible for the diodes to not open if the voltmeter doesn't apply enough voltage.

Thanks

Thanks

Offline Mechannibalism

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 03:38:11 PM »
It may be one bad SCR or burned up connector a the R/R, check the Neg. connection it carries all the charging current and is a common problem on other bikes.  Also check/clean all the main batt. connections.

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 03:50:39 PM »
It may be one bad SCR or burned up connector a the R/R, check the Neg. connection it carries all the charging current and is a common problem on other bikes.  Also check/clean all the main batt. connections.
Thanks. Any info on how to measure the negative connection?
I tried measuring the resistance as stated in the manual but it will just stay on infinite resistance on all connections, regardless of sensitivity (200, 2k, 20k, 200k ohm).

But, could I just measure the voltage on the b/w and red wires from the regulator/rectifier? This way I could cancel out at least all the wires to the battery.

Offline Mechannibalism

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 04:18:54 PM »
 The best way to check bad connetions is to check the voltage drop across them, set to volt meter (2V) and for example put one probe on the + batt. terminal(the lead one right out of the battery) andthe other probe on the on the start solinoid - an ideal reading would be 0V , any resistance would show up as a higher reading (~2V). you can do this on any connections (Neg. or Pos.) as long as there is power there.
    Usually  the  neg. connector right at the R/R burns up.

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 05:12:22 PM »
The best way to check bad connetions is to check the voltage drop across them, set to volt meter (2V) and for example put one probe on the + batt. terminal(the lead one right out of the battery) andthe other probe on the on the start solinoid - an ideal reading would be 0V , any resistance would show up as a higher reading (~2V). you can do this on any connections (Neg. or Pos.) as long as there is power there.
    Usually  the  neg. connector right at the R/R burns up.
Start solenoid? what does that have to do with the rectifier/regulator?

Offline Mechannibalism

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 05:51:08 PM »
 The power from the R/R taps into the batt.+ at that point, I sometimes put directly on the batt.

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 07:07:29 PM »
The power from the R/R taps into the batt.+ at that point, I sometimes put directly on the batt.
Sorry I don't follow.
Can't I just measure the Volts on the red and b/w and it should be 13.5V>-<15.5V right?

What if it's 13.3V? Should I replace the R/R?

Offline Mechannibalism

• Board Regular!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 08:24:08 PM »
Yes  across the R and B/W at the reg. it should be higher than 13.3V

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 09:49:31 AM »
Yes  across the R and B/W at the reg. it should be higher than 13.3V
Well, I guess it's broken then? Only measure 1.3V (not 13, 1.3)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22072961/MF/2013-09-22%2014.41.35.mp4