Author Topic: Rear shock fun or why EBay is a PIA sometimes  (Read 6439 times)

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
Rear shock fun or why EBay is a PIA sometimes
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 05:57:26 PM »
You can see in these pics how much grinding would be necessary:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/edorp/IMG_8699e.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/edorp/IMG_8701e.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/edorp/IMG_8703e.jpg

I think it would be ok, but I'd rather not have to do it.

I'll try phoning the one other local wrecker and then maybe try out of town.

I'm somewhat torn between trying to get one locally and support the local wreckers or sourcing one from ebay which might actually turn out cheaper than locally - this shock cost me US$222 (NZ$350) which was similar to what other local wreckers were asking (like NZ$300 for a '98 GSF1200 shock).

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 02:54:25 AM »
Well, I decided to try and return the shock and look for a gsxr 750 one. Luckily the wrecker gave me a full refund.

After phoning most of the wreckers in the country, I found 1 gsxr 750 shock down in Mt Maunganui for NZ$250. There's also a few shocks on ebay that I've got my eyes on.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006, 08:20:32 PM »
Eric,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I haven't been near a reliable internet connection in a couple of days.

I had to grind down a similar amount to the mounting tab on my GSXR rear shock. Everything has been fine for several thousand miles. It seems like more than you think but really all you do is grind it at an angle and it's not much at all. Search the b12 forums or even Google, there was an article/pic post about it.

As far as the spring rate is concerned, I'm probably 165-175 with gear. I have the preload down about halfway and still have about 25-30mm of sag on the bike. I think you may be on the upper end of the spring, but only trying it will help.

-Randy

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 09:27:35 AM »
turned out the wrecker was wrong about having a 750 shock, so I ended up buying the gsxr1100 shock again that I originally bought then returned!

I've done the grinding/filing to get it to fit, it looks like it'll be ok hopefully.
Had to take some meat off the top of the shock and also a little bit off the bottom bracket and smooth out the lower linkage a bit.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/edorp/IMG_8779e.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/edorp/IMG_8780e.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/edorp/IMG_8781e.jpg

I just have to regrease the link bearings a bit then find a slightly longer bolt for the bottom end of the shock, and I can fit it and see how it goes!

I also picked up some 2005 kawasaki z750s fork springs, they're constant rate 1.08kg/mm springs, same diameter as the B4 springs (35.4mm) so will fit right in. I'll just have to see if they're too stiff or not.

It's a pity the weather forecast for this weekend here is really bad or I'd do a lot of test riding to make sure they're all ok for the trackday I'm going to next weekend.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 09:40:00 AM »
The grinding you did pretty much looks like mine. I've been running that shock trouble-free (for the most part) for the past couple of thousand miles or so.

IIRC, I used the stock hardware to re-install the shock. I didn't have to hunt down a new bolt. Also, when you install the new springs, you should also look into changing the fork oil so that the dampening will match the new spring rate. With 10wt oil, I can see that thing coming back like a pogo stick.

Good luck

-Randy

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 09:58:54 AM »
Well, I finished installing the shock and have been riding around on it a couple of weeks now.

The height at the rear has raised 20mm (unladen).
The new shock has allowed me to set the laden sag to a reasonable level of 31mm compared to the 60mm with the stock shock with preload fully cranked up. I could reduce the laden sag even more with the new shock, but I think 31mm is supposed to be about right.
I've got the compression and rebound damping at their middle settings.

Anyway, it seems to be a significant improvement over the original, I haven't had any spine-compressing jolts when going over bumps and haven't scraped the exhaust or centrestand in corners which happened all too easily with the stock shock.

I tried the Z750S fork springs briefly, but I think they are in fact too stiff. The stock ones aren't way too bad, at least they don't bottom out with the preload correctly set.

I'm not a racer and don't know how to fine tune suspension. That's something I've still got to learn. But it's good enough for me as it is :)

Here's a few pics of the shock installation.
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/edorp/bandit%20shock/
Oh yeah, I also discovered the tool kit under the pillion seat. It was a surprise, I didn't know b4's came with one. Looks like it's never been opened.

On another note, I took the bandit to a trackday last weekend and managed to low side, I guess due to trying to lean the bike over further mid corner to tighten my line and the new, commuting rear tyre disagreed with me. The bike is pretty much ok, the brake lever broke, but I had a spare. The front indicator stalks broke and the right handlebar bent (the turn was left hand and the bike flipped onto its right side when it met the dirt). It's got a few new scratches on the crankcase and tank, but overall I think it did pretty well! I was able to change the brake lever, tape up the lights (and my riding gear) and keep on riding. I just have to find a new set of handlebars now when I've got the time.
Next trackday I think I'll try and get leathers rather than cordura riding gear and stickier tyres rather than commuting ones... ;) But that's going to have to wait till I've finished uni at the end of the year.

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 02:34:33 PM »
ouch! You're taking it pretty well! If i lost control on the riding situation i would hate myself for at least some weeks!
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2006, 06:17:57 PM »
Quote from: Farre
ouch! You're taking it pretty well! If i lost control on the riding situation i would hate myself for at least some weeks!

The way I see it is if it's on a track, it's all part of learning.
On the road it's a different story since there's a much higher chance of hurting yourself or someone else on the road.

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2006, 04:26:09 AM »
i guess yes, but OTOH to see your bike with boken bits on it, you know you just replaced.. gives me a sting :sad:
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock