Author Topic: jetting, again  (Read 6689 times)

Offline elbandtioCA

• Board Homesteader!
Re: jetting, again
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 11:34:33 AM »
what's the difference between the loose clutch basket and the worn cush drive?

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 11:37:18 AM »
Cush drive is the rubber fitting in the wheel that the sprocket slides into. Provides a little buffer to the drive train as you go on and off the throttle.

I think it's definitely a drivetrain issue. When you decelerate you load those parts up in the other direction and that's highlighting the problem.

A

Offline elbandtioCA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 11:40:18 AM »
that might explain why it does feel a little jerky coming on and off throttle.  i thought it was the chain being too loose but i tigthened it to speck.  i still wonder it wouldn't make the sound at a lower rpm.  and it does make the sound while just holding steady at a constant throttle position, just more pronounced if you let off the throttle.

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 11:50:49 AM »
Cush drive is the rubber fitting in the wheel that the sprocket slides into. Provides a little buffer to the drive train as you go on and off the throttle.

I think it's definitely a drivetrain issue. When you decelerate you load those parts up in the other direction and that's highlighting the problem.

A

Theres also a cush drive in the clutch basket. betwen the basket and the gear

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
The clutchs do give trouble, usually wont go into neutral once in gear, if the cush drive has gone at the rear wheel you can usually see fragments of rubber over the rear wheel, are the chain and sprokets good, it aint jumping on the front sproket?

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 01:00:01 PM »
Theres also a cush drive in the clutch basket. betwen the basket and the gear

right. thanks!

A

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 04:22:29 PM »
sounds like cam chain to me the chain slackens when you roll off the throttle
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 06:54:24 PM »
I'm prepared to be wrong on this, but how the heck would the cam chain slacken when you roll off the throttle? I would think that the cams wouldn't carry enough momentum to do that. And it certainly wouldn't _continue_ to be slack. No way do the cams have more momentum than the crankshaft and pistons all put together.

A

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 07:14:41 PM »
proven fact that the cam chain tightens and slackens if your your auto cam chain tensioner would out live the chain
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 07:16:26 PM »
Also wooba checking your throttle is bad for the cam chain sounds cool at a red light but hell why not just keep shutting of you kill switch as you roll down the road :yikes:

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 07:42:38 PM »
hmmm... chain stretch, I suppose? Chain is slightly elastic and under acceleration, stretches, and then rebounds under decel?

I buy it.

A

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 10:29:19 PM »
 :bigok:

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 07:39:34 PM »
Everyone is comin at this from the wrong angle, the facts are that it nocks above 8000 rpm especialy on the freeway and up hill so the throttle is open and the motor undr heavy load. Carnt be rear cush or cam chain whip cuz the load is constant,but, we have jetting that seems wrong and previous cam chain tensioner problems,so it could be related to the mixture or it could be other worn parts related to the cam drive chain, thats if the sound is in the TOP of the motor,so this is where i would start,but, i would always go back to a good set up and then work forward again.