Author Topic: Just bought a '91 Bandit 400V......  (Read 10064 times)

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Re: Just bought a '91 Bandit 400V......
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2008, 04:38:23 PM »
plug wires on right?
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2008, 04:55:05 PM »
Plug wires are on all ok, left coil to 1# and 4# right coil to 2# and 3#. New plugs are in too.

Could it be something to do with compression? I don't think it is due to it starting before, or am I wrong?

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2008, 06:03:53 PM »
for shits and giggle switch wires 1-4 to 2-3 and 2-3 to 1-4 then try to start if no change go back
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2008, 06:11:42 PM »
Got fresh fuel?

Sounds strange. If this is NOT new, fresh fuel, I would suggest draining the tank and carbs, and starting with fresh fuel.

How's the battery voltage once you've cranked it for a while? It should be 13.2 to 13.4 volts. A weak battery may not let the plugs spark under compression.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2008, 06:38:45 PM »
What's it do when you crank it? What are your carb settings at?

Another possibility, if there's too much oil on the air filter it will starve the motor for air... it will keep trying to catch but as soon as you take your finger off the starter it will die... try removing the air filter and see if it starts.

You could also try using quick start or a drop of gas (keep your fingers near the kill switch). Then you'd know if it was carb related or not... just be careful.... boooom.

Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2008, 07:29:48 PM »
Yep have fresh fuel. The battery is new and has been charged over night until it is full (I have not got a voltage tester, but the charger has some led indicators).

I will give the wires around and see if that helps, thanks for the tip.

Concerning the air filter, I just put in a new one dry without soaking it in oil, could that affect it adversely? So should I just take the whole air filter off and try starting?

Whats that about using a drop of gas? Putting some directly into the carbs?

When I crank it I can hear the starter motor cranking away, it started the engine when I just replaced the battery a while ago and from what I remember there is no noticable change in sound. Grrrr, last thing I want to do is have a garage look at it......i'm a student and poor!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 07:32:16 PM by Vanishing_Point »

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2008, 09:59:41 PM »
First, like Mike asked, what are your carb settings?  Specifically check the air/fuel screws....  Screw each one in, counting the turns.  They should be at least two turns out.  Also, check the little brass tube that runs on the outside of carb #4.  That thing is easily broken and will make starting a real bitch.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2008, 06:14:40 AM »
Ah ok, I haven't actually checked those.....

Where do I find them? Do I have to take the carbs completely off?

Where can I find the factory settings?

I have checked that brass tube and it seems fine, no holes in in or anything.

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2008, 09:30:40 AM »
Ok well I spoke to my dad the other day and it turns out he DID NOT take the carbs apart, just soaked them in carb cleaner and gave em' a good outside clean - this was because he couldn't get into them due to some screws being threaded. Nevermind.

Anyway he gave me the same tip as interfuse did - pour a few drops of petrol into each carb and then try and fire it up. 1st I did this with the old plugs in, it gave a few promising coughs, then 5 seconds later a almighty BOOMing backfire that startled some people passing by! :lol:

After doing this twice I decided to change the plugs to the new ones I had bought and did the same thing again. Success! - After a few coughs it then promptly revved up to about 8K then cut out (bear in mnd this was when the fuel tank was not attached). I repeated this serveral times with the same result and feeling confident put the fuel tank back on. No luck however, just spluttered a few times (prob the remenants of the fuel I poured in) then did nothing. I then poured some more fuel into each carb (this time with the fuel tank properly attached, fuel hose, vacuum hose, primed the carbs ect) and it revved up again to about 8K before cutting out.

Thinking that by putting my hand over each carb and then trying the ignition may clear out some passages, but nothing really happened. I did feel suction in all 4 carbs, but some were stronger than others. Carb 1# suction felt quite weak compared to carb 3# which was much stronger and it almost sounded as it wanted to start!

Would it be fair to come to the conclusion that the carbs are clogged up somehow (yes I know that many of you wise people suggested that straight away, but I thought my dad had taken the carbs apart properly and cleaned them!). Should I just bite the bullet and get them professionally cleaned and synced?

Its a wieght off my mind that I have isolated the problem to the carbs, its now just a case of getting them working properly!

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2008, 10:17:19 AM »
Are you using choke when you start it? Don't put it to full tilt, try like 1/2 way on... see what happens.

How long did you prime the carbs for? Sometimes it takes awhile for enough gas to get into the float bowl. I usually turn it to prime wait a few minutes, turn the choke on and sometimes even give it throttle to start after draining the bowls.

You'll clean your carbs and replace o-rings (if not right now, eventually).

Read this site, it's the same carb, we've just got more of them (and our settings are different).

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Carb_Clean.htm

Same here

http://gstwin.com/carb_work.htm
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2008, 10:21:39 AM »
Oh and dunking in carb cleaner isn't the best idea. Unlike oldschool vehicles these carbs have lots of rubber / plastic that doesn't love being eaten by carb cleaner.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2008, 12:27:31 PM »
Oh and dunking in carb cleaner isn't the best idea. Unlike oldschool vehicles these carbs have lots of rubber / plastic that doesn't love being eaten by carb cleaner.
second that one. Def piddly carb issue have the carbs cleaned good and you should be golden. Also I'm sure there are a few qualified people on here that could save you some money in the long run with the carb clean if you can not do it your self I'm sure you live close to someone that can do it with out going to a shop, unless you have money like that. I also suggest taking care of the carbs with a carb rebuild kit if it has never been done just to reassure yourself that you have replaced the niggly bits that go bad.

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2008, 01:21:45 PM »
Ah ok, so it is probably best that I get a carb kit while i'm at it, and get it properly cleaned. Is there anyone in the UK who could help me out?

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2008, 01:25:16 PM »
You may want to talk to MIKE banditmax i think is his call sign (top gun ) lol he's usually busy but I'm sure you ship the carbs to him he could help you out. Or maybe he is close. I can send the carb kits to you unless Mike has better ideas.

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2008, 01:31:51 PM »
Ah ok, I'll PM him and see what he says.