Author Topic: New here... Sick Bandit  (Read 6020 times)

Offline tarosean

• New user!
New here... Sick Bandit
« on: May 19, 2009, 04:45:29 PM »
Hey guys new member from Houston, TX (couldn't find an intro post)

anyhow I have a sick 93 Bandit400 that belongs to my wife. that I steal all the time... (love that little bike) Trying to track down why I have no spark... Bike has sat for 9m due to wife being preggo; pulled it out and it acted like it wanted to fire once, now nothing. (new battery)

Trying to research as much as possible before asking dumb questions. However, a lot of pictures are missing from posts etc..

Also, just in case is there a shop that repairs the CDI's in the US or generous members that like side projects for $  :thumb:

Sean
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 04:52:22 PM by tarosean »

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: New here... Sick Bandit
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 06:46:04 PM »
Hi Sean,
You got to start at the battery, you need to know if this is good and then you can move on.

Offline tarosean

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 07:01:21 PM »
Dropped a new battery in her...

I've checked the coils resistance and they seem to be within spec. I am having trouble locating the signal generators tail, (the manuals picture sucks), so I haven't got to test that yet, then I'll move to the rectifier, I'm sure there is a test for that.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 08:22:32 PM »
Hi Tarosean,

First off - welcome.  I'm glad to see you got logged in.  Sorry for the delay.  Long weekend and all.

Second, the RR is very easy to test.  Just takes a Multimeter.  The link to do it is in my sig.  See the "electrosport" portion. The bike does not have to be running for the RR portion of the test.

I also believe that Electrosport can repair a CDI, and I think they're in the US?  Make sure that it's the CDI first though before you send it in.

On that note, a few things:

1. You may get even more hits in our general mechanical forum.  I will add a link to this thread there for you.  These guys in the 250 400 forum are the best there are for the little bandits though.  :grin:

2. You -have- downloaded the service manual from our downloads section, correct?  If it's that pic you're not liking, try blowing it up a little in your pdf reader.  (i.e. 150% or more) sometimes they become clearer.

3. Make sure that you test that battery first.  I know that it's new,.. but they're sometimes bad from the get go, and you'll pull your hair out trying to figure out what's wrong, then find that you have a weak spark because of a bad cell. Or a battery that's not fully charged.  It should read about 13.2V across the terminals (6x2.2)  A little higher when it's charging (i.e. the bike's running)

4. Do you have spark at the other end of the coils?  i.e. at the plug end of the wires, is there spark at all when you crank?

4a. If so, do you have it at all plugs, or just 1 and 4 or 2 and 3, etc?

5. I'm guessing that your plugs are wet and black right now too.  So once you do have spark, you'll probably want to clean up your plugs too.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 11:28:42 PM »
Welcome, Sean. 

Ask whatever you need.  The board has been slow lately anyway!   :bandit:

Better describe what it's doing.  Is it cranking at all?  Stormi has good ideas.  Did you drain/replace all that old gas?  Pull/inspect/check for spark on the plugs?  Checked all the "stupid" things that we've all done - clutch and side stand safety switch, run/kill switch? 

Fill us in. 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline tarosean

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 06:13:08 PM »
Thanks everyone..

The battery is good reading a little over 13v. Fuses are good. The bike cranks over just not getting any spark from either of the coil packs. Plugs are pretty clean. However used a new plug to test spark, just incase. Both coils are testing within spec resistance ~ ohms.

Didn't have a chance to try and find the signal generator tail last night, hopefully I can locate it soon so I can check that off the list.

Just worried that its the CDI and my fat fingers would melt the board trying to repair it....  :rofl:

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 10:47:11 PM »
Thanks everyone..

The battery is good reading a little over 13v. Fuses are good. The bike cranks over just not getting any spark from either of the coil packs. Plugs are pretty clean. However used a new plug to test spark, just incase. Both coils are testing within spec resistance ~ ohms.

Didn't have a chance to try and find the signal generator tail last night, hopefully I can locate it soon so I can check that off the list.

Just worried that its the CDI and my fat fingers would melt the board trying to repair it....  :rofl:

Is the "Signal Generator Tail" that you're looking for the one depicted in 3-7 (engine section) about half way down the page?  Labeled with a "3"?
If so, it is one of the 2 pigtails that comes off the Regulator rectifier on the left side of the bike.

If memory serves, you will have one pigtail with 3 yellow wires.  These go to the stator.
The other pigtail is what you're needing?  Pigtail with 2 wires, Red and black.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:49:01 PM by stormi »
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works