Author Topic: Lost key for Suzuki GSF400  (Read 4966 times)

Offline dolly_parton

• TURBO TYPER!
Lost key for Suzuki GSF400
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:25:33 AM »
Hi,

My friend who had my only copy of my motorcycle key for the '92 Suzuki GSF400 got into a bad motorcycle accident over the weekend.  Long story short, I need to get a new copy made.

I don't have a master copy.  The towing company that towed his motorcycle hung up on me when I tried to ask if they had my key. 

I bought the bike off Ebay so I don't know how to get the key number.

Any ideas?

Call locksmith?  Suzuki dealership?  How much would this cost? 

Thanks!

Offline dolly_parton

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Lost key for Suzuki GSF400
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 03:22:52 PM »
I did some more research, and it looks like I can remove the ignition switch and get at the key code number under it.  Has anyone tried this?  Did it work?  How do I remove the ignition switch?

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 05:27:33 PM »
Call a locksmith and discuss with them, you may need a new key blank from your dealer though.

A good locksmith can make a new key on the spot.
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80

Offline Wrider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 01:18:55 AM »
I did some more research, and it looks like I can remove the ignition switch and get at the key code number under it.  Has anyone tried this?  Did it work?  How do I remove the ignition switch?

You can.  I don't remember on this particular bike but a lot of bikes have special screws that have the heads snap off after you torque them properly.  I don't think these do.

What you can do if you're so inclined is make it nearly theftproof while not requiring a key either.  I'd disconnect the battery, cut the ignition wires, and connect a switch.  Then you hide the switch somewhere in the frame and you're golden.  Only problem is that you still need one to access your underseat storage bin.

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 04:09:34 PM »
Regarding key blanks:  My dealer wanted $19.95 for an actual Suzuki blank.  I found some generic all metal blanks online for $1.42 each if you order 5.  Have been using it for a year with no issues.  Local locksmith was a jerk and wouldn't cut it because it wasn't his blank, and he didn't even have the blanks.  Home Depot cut it without complaint.

http://mysecuritypro.com/SuzukiSUZ18KeyBlanks.aspx

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 10:03:41 PM »
+1 for ilco blanks.  All my Suzuki keys have cracks. I've been using the ilco keys for a decade with no cracks.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline bandito93

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 06:25:37 PM »
I went to my local locksmith and had one cut for under $4 (I had a key already though) but they had the blanks in stock. I work at a Suzuki dealership and we usually recommend most people go see a locksmith when they lose their key because all of the keys I can order come blank anyways. In the past I have been quoted around $25 to start for cutting a key from the lock itself. So i would imagine a good locksmith could get you all set up again.