Author Topic: The final steps...  (Read 2531 times)

Offline halamadrid

• Board Regular!
The final steps...
« on: November 08, 2010, 07:26:21 PM »
Hey everybody. I was on here quite a bit in the summer. I did a lot of work on my bandit 400 then. Replaced faulty ignition coil, check for vacuum leaks, and cleaned the carbs. This improved the bikes performance from not idling and lagging to really sharp response. I stored it for a couple months and now I have it out again. It started up first try after I charged the battery and idled pretty well. It seemed to idle perfectly but after taking it for a spin, and on the consecutive spins as well, the idle is sticking really high,just below 4K rpm. It did this before I swapped out the coils but much worse, it had bad response and died frequently. Now it never dies and has tons of power, but in neutral and in first gear the idle sticks really high but every once in a while comes down and idles normally. I feel like I've checked all the possible vacuum leak points. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can tune this out?

The bike is definitely rideable now, compared to before where it would die. Although I know the high rpms and potential lean mixture is bad for the engine. ALso, I had a lot of STABIL in the tank for storage. Could that be causing it? It doesnt seem like it would.

Thanks

Offline halamadrid

• Board Regular!
Re: The final steps...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 08:20:03 PM »
Well the bike was just having some fun with me. I took off the tank and noticed that a hose clamp was holding the throttle open. such a perfect fix. So excited to ride now.

Offline wfrpalm

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 09:02:06 AM »
I love those easy fixes. Have fun.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 03:24:13 PM »
LOL- its always the simple things you miss orst time around. Glad to hear you fixed it. :congrats: