Author Topic: Trouble Finding Neutral  (Read 5023 times)

Offline MasterM3

• Board Homesteader!
Trouble Finding Neutral
« on: March 07, 2006, 03:51:31 PM »
I purchased my bandit not so long ago as my first bike. When the bike is warming up or off with just the ignition turned, I have no problems finding neutral. Just half a click up from first.

After riding around and letting the bike warm up, it is impossible to find neutral. I will as gently as I can click it up and hit second. When I try to go half a click down from second I hit first. My left wrist gets tired from having to hold the clutch in at every signal light. As soon as I turn off the bike, finding neutral is no problem.

I'm really wondering what the problem could be. It's so strange that this problem only happens when the bike is on. Can anyone here offer some advice?

I have tried rolling the bike foreward and backward and then tried to find neutral to no avail.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Trouble Finding Neutral
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 04:47:02 PM »
You can't find neutral because its hiding behind your clutch cable adjustment!

Check the service manual under clutch cable adjustment. Hopefully it will fix your problem!
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

zaptoman

Trouble Finding Neutral
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 08:16:44 PM »
I have the same problem, but i don't really understand what you're saying. How will adjusting the clutch cable affect neutral?

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Trouble Finding Neutral
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 11:46:32 PM »
Shifting into neutral must be done smoothly or you'll skip over it. If you have too much slack in the clutch cable, the clutch won't fully disengage. This will prevent the transmission from shifting smoothly. Thus making it impossible to find neutral.

Follow the service manual instructions and adjust the clutch lever so the entire range of lever motion disengages the clutch. If it doesn't help then your clutch has bigger problems.... but its always best to start with the simplest solution.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline 2Fast4U

• TURBO TYPER!
Trouble Finding Neutral
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 05:54:03 AM »
i have the same problem in my bike
can someone upload a pictcher of how it sepusd to be...

yes i know my english is low, idan.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Trouble Finding Neutral
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 11:45:50 AM »
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline banditcilik

• Board Homesteader!
Trouble Finding Neutral
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 04:59:01 AM »
Agree with interfuse. I used to have this problem with my bikes and the cure is on the cable adjustment.
If the adjustment doesn't fix that then try to change the oil with another brand/viscosity.
If none of the above works, try to rev up the engine slightly by blipping up throttle while pressing the clutch. When engine rpm climbing try to find neutral if this fails try to find it while rpm on its way to iddle. This, usually never fails.

Offline bonobandit4

• Board Homesteader!
Trouble Finding Neutral
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 05:10:44 PM »
There's a post in technical area that specifies not to use Energy Conserving motor oil due to clutch slippage.  Are you using regular car motor oil?  May want to change viscosity and stay away from the EC versions...

http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm
I've actually read 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'.... it sucked!

Brian
93 Bandit w/ full Yoshi 4-2-1 and jets
1968 AMC Javelin - Made in WI baby!