Author Topic: More power please.  (Read 12283 times)

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
More power please.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 02:37:09 PM »
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
Quote from: "Thief400"
Just a few notes here for ya,
1/ 75 to 80 reliable HP is a pipe dream, Crack pipe
2/ if thats how much HP you need get a 600
3/ Top speed is about 130 for a very healthy 400, the stock US versions 112 is realistic, 150 is once again a pipe dream
4/ Suspension upgrade are very easy and worth while doing, alot of older GSXR part will bolt right on.
5/ Your bike isn't restricted other than the 32 mm carbs, all others came with 33 mm

:lol: since i just got up i wont comment on this yet :shock:

Thought I was being nice !!!!!! you should see me when I'm grumpy  LMFAO

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
More power please.
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 08:33:40 PM »
Welcome, dude.  

The pipe is the hard-to-come-by piece.  Good luck to you!  

BTW, just to clarify - all US B4s, all years, got the 32mm carbs.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
More power please.
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 09:11:54 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"

BTW, just to clarify - all US B4s, all years, got the 32mm carbs.

My big fat bad mate pitter is correct need to find a none US model
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline jodyvan

• Board Homesteader!
More power please.
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 11:12:37 PM »
Agreed Jay... mine has 33mm carbs...  :bigok:
91 Bandit GSF400VM Japan import

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
More power please.
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 12:47:22 AM »
It sounds like we are much alike LA Ryder.Im also a long time rider who always wanted a B4 but just recently bought mine.Heres my input after 8 straight months of riding and modifiying my B4, which I bought nearly bone-stock in Feb.

Gearing......getting 6500 rpms at 80mph is gonna put you at a serious disadvantage when accelerating.I added one tooth up front and dropped one in the back (equivelant to dropping 4 teeth out back) and Im still running 8000 rpms at 80mph.It didnt really affect my acceleration but 1st gear is actually usable now and Im not screaming on the highway.But,I must downshift a couple gears when passing or trying to speed up.....its just a fact of life with a high strung little 400,youll just bog and go nowhere if you "roll on throttle".You must gets revs up to make things happen.

Tuning......B4's are tuned quite badly from the factory.A hot thermostat is a good place to start,it will get the engine up to a usable temp and make tuning easier.The early water cooler Suzuki engines ran notoriously cool and it makes them cranky when lean.Running better at higher altitudes sounds like lean tuning,which is pretty common.After installing the recommended thermostat and a FactoryPro jet kit,my B4 runs like a champ in all conditions and its MUCH more fun, having no dips or bumps in the power.Both mods are easy/cheap and have been covered MANY times before,so a little searching will net you the needed info.

Pipe......I didnt like the loud,harsh nature of the Yosh pipe that came on my B4.I easily adapted a late model ZX-6 high midpipe to my B4 with just one weld,and then I stole the Hindle Stealth muffler off my FZR1000.The tone is awesome and the amplitude is exactly proportional to the throttle input. If I want to stay quiet,I stay out of the throttle....but when Im into it and the revs climb,she screams.

Suspension......I just finished dialing in my suspension the other day,and its just awesome.Taught suspension and a tucked riding position have their downsides,but I bought this bike for the exact same reason you stated....for short distance,aggresive canyon riding and track use.The 90's GSX-R front suspension is an easy swap and fully adjustable.I used an 07' GSX-R 750 rear shock that is nearly a bolt on.I had my spring sag set the other day and now its even better than before.Brakes are just RIDICULOUS......the 6 piston dual fronts will, with one finger,haul this little bike down from triple digits like hitting a brick wall! On a track,you could probably late brake anything out there.There are lots of tire choices out there,and an SV650 rear wheel will allow a 160 tire in back,if your inclined to go wide with the rubber.I did that mod,along with a GSX-R400 rear swingarm a couple weeks ago.Still gotta get the pics of that up.....

It wasnt cheap in the long run,Im sure I spent more than the cost of the bike.But spread out over time made it easier,and bargain shopping for used Ebay stuff helped save money.For the big ticket items like tires and my new Scotts damper,I whipped out the ol' plastic! :grin:  

I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline LosAngelesRyder

• TURBO TYPER!
More power please.
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 04:19:12 AM »
I love your bike and thank you very much for your input turbofb. With the extra power from the motor i don't think it would become unusable with 1 up in the front and 2 in the rear. I'm thinking about using the gsxr 400 swing arm and sv wheel thanks to you lol. How hard was the swinger and shock install? What needed to be modded? What about the carbs from a gsxr400 would they be worth the trouble?

On another note, today was a weird day. The bike totaly quit on me, come to find out because of bad gas. But the night was good, after I got her running with an interesting mod to the air box she ran perfect. I went riding with some guys and the bike by my speedo toped out at about 115 but a guy that was riding a cbr with a digital speedo unmodded bike said we were doing 120-125 and i was keeping up with them. Mind you my bike has only 14k well maintained miles so it's in great running condition other than minor things. I does sound like it could use a valve adjust but that will happen when i get the motor done. I don't think I will ever get rid of this bike its so versatile.
Keep The Rubber Side Down!

Me 1991 B4
Her 1996 CBR600F3

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
More power please.
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 08:54:28 AM »
having a calibrated digital speedo as well as the normal speedo i can tell you the 115 mph is really 105 mph.

just because a bike (like the cbr) has a digital speedo doesnt mean its more accurate  :stickpoke:

for easy power just get a different pipe, Jay's big-bore kit and a factory pro jet set. that alreaddy gives alot more power.
or dont get the factory pro set, but buy a set of flatslide carbs for some more power  :motorsmile:

and with just the bigbore kit and a yosh pipe using a 15/47 gear ratio is no problem at all!!
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline LosAngelesRyder

• TURBO TYPER!
More power please.
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 12:09:13 PM »
whats the difference between my carbs and flat side carbs?

Me 1991 B4
Her 1996 CBR600F3

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
More power please.
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 12:12:19 PM »
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline LosAngelesRyder

• TURBO TYPER!
More power please.
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 12:34:15 PM »
ok now I understand thanks gsxr. What fcr's should i use for the power i'm looking for?

Me 1991 B4
Her 1996 CBR600F3

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
More power please.
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 11:07:42 PM »
Dont push the valve adjust off for too long.Theres no use in burning valves,even if your gonna overhaul the engine.Our little high revvin' engines need regular valve maintenence.Mine also had 15K on it and it needed the valves done when I cracked her open.Its not too hard to do,especially compared to doing the 20 shim-under-bucket valves of my FZR1000.

The swingarm bolts right up to the bike,although they arent the most common items around,you have to source one from Japan.....Jay got me mine.The swingarm has to have a tab welded on for the rear brake strut and there are other,minor issues that have to be adressed,like axle and adjuster selection,chain length and suspension readjustment.Its nothing extravegant,just fine tuning,a little parts bin rummaging and massaging parts into place where they were never intended to be.
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
More power please.
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 05:30:17 AM »
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
Just a few notes here for ya,
1/ 75 to 80 reliable HP is a pipe dream, Crack pipe
2/ if thats how much HP you need get a 600
3/ Top speed is about 130 for a very healthy 400, the stock US versions 112 is realistic, 150 is once again a pipe dream
4/ Suspension upgrade are very easy and worth while doing, alot of older GSXR part will bolt right on.
5/ Your bike isn't restricted other than the 32 mm carbs, all others came with 33 mm

:lol: since i just got up i wont comment on this yet :shock:

Thought I was being nice !!!!!! you should see me when I'm grumpy  LMFAO

i thought thief was being fine towards you, and you just got a bit pissed off cos he said your ideas werent doable, but to be honest if you want 80hp why didnt you just buy a 600?

you can get pipes from www.banditmania.co.uk, they have road legal and race cans so if you dont want it too loud get a legal one with the removable bung in it or whatever.

they have some other nice stuff as well as pipes
If you cant join them, beat them...

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
More power please.
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2007, 07:56:18 AM »
Forde, no where did i find headers for the b4 on that site but i did find cans for the 250/400 fairly cheap

BIKE STAINLESS POWDERCOAT 2xPOWDERCOAT CARBON TITANIUM COL. TITANIUM
250 £155 £185 £200 £200 £225 £260
400 £155 £185 £200 £200 £225 £260

and your link has a comma after it needs to be removed to work right.
cheers
Jay

Offline LosAngelesRyder

• TURBO TYPER!
More power please.
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2007, 10:52:01 AM »
my answer to that question is relatively simple. Because of the bandits size. As I stated in the original post. But thanks for the info.

Me 1991 B4
Her 1996 CBR600F3

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
More power please.
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2007, 04:59:32 PM »
there are people that like smaller bikes but like to get all the power they can.  :shock:  :motorsmile: