Author Topic: What type of mileage are you getting? + other questions  (Read 5566 times)

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
What type of mileage are you getting? + other questions
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 06:11:05 PM »
Woot!, just got back from a nice long shakedown ride,  :grin: 100 miles, barely sipped the gas, she ran like the proverbial raped up, scared me at first reminding me just how fast this little bugger is.  

All I did to the carbs were adjust the floats, they were out by about .100" and screw that main jet back in.

As far as I can remember, the thing runs a hell of a lot better now than when I first bought it.  

May my car  hate me for the rest of the summer now because of the neglect she is about to recieve.
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 11:08:51 PM »
congrats. Its amazing how those little things, like main jets, can get in the way ;)

Just to add .02 -- I'm getting about 35mpg, but running a touch rich still I think. We'll see after a tank full with lowered fuel level.

D'oh... that's meaningless with out jetting info eh? 105 main, 3rd clip position on factory pro needles, 3.25 idle screw and 15mm float level (recently changed to 16mm... we'll see).

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 01:37:11 AM »
Quote from: "andrewsw"
congrats. Its amazing how those little things, like main jets, can get in the way ;)

Just to add .02 -- I'm getting about 35mpg, but running a touch rich still I think. We'll see after a tank full with lowered fuel level.

D'oh... that's meaningless with out jetting info eh? 105 main, 3rd clip position on factory pro needles, 3.25 idle screw and 15mm float level (recently changed to 16mm... we'll see).

Hey, we'll have to get our bikes together someday. I'm just over in Rathdrum.  Which factory pro kit are you using?  I want to pick one up, I'm just not sure which kit to get, the regular kit, the regular but ti-needle kit, or config 30 kit.  Can the stage 1 kits support pods and all that?
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 01:10:21 PM »
the regular and the ti same kit just getting the extra added benefit of having needles that last longer, both will support pods but may not come with the higher main jet to do so like the configuration 30 kit. ( i think i was running 130's ) with my pods back in the day when i ran stock carbs
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 02:44:46 PM »
SRwitt: Indeed, we need to hook up. We probably have the only b4's in the nearest couple hundred miles. Lets set a date and meet in the middle for a ride. I'm no good this saturday, but how about next saturday (July 28?)? Honestly, I'm not sure which Factory Pro kit it is because it came with the carbs... bought from Krautwagen...

Pods. I was talking to a suzuki factory mechanic the other day and when I mentioned I had a k&n filter he really cringed, until I mentioned it was the stock replacement with airbox. His opinion was that pods don't necessarily help as the airflow can get really turbulent and result in less flow in certain circumstances. I don't know who big a deal that is with the B4, especially if you can rig up the side covers somehow.

But then again, if you're running a 130 main and it properly tuned, then there must be more air moving...

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 10:34:42 PM »
Man next weekend I'm busy, and I damn near wrecked the bike today, riding to work I struck a deer, didn't go down but I now have some damage to take care of.
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 11:24:19 PM »
glad your ok mate
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2007, 01:55:46 AM »
Believe me I am too, I don't really have anything to blame but myself.  Right place, wrong time to play. In afterthought things could have gone way worse, I didn't see the deer in time to brake or try to avoid it ,I just said to myself "oh S***" and just hung on,  a split second later I realise I'm still upright and moving.  

All said and done I've got a bent but not leaking radiator, the fan is hitting it now though when it switches on. A busted front turn signal, and a banged up hand and leg.
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2007, 12:17:49 PM »
:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2007, 01:28:35 PM »
Damn man, glad to hear you're still with us!

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2007, 02:38:31 PM »
wow man! sorry to hear but glad you're okay.

Where were you when it happened?

I find myself getting lazy about deer. I ride everyday, but its mostly in town. When I do get out for a little jaunt its usually in the late evening -- prime deer time, but I haven't seen any in a while and I _know_ I've hit some corners too fast to deal with a deer on the other side of the apex.

Well, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Amazing that you didn't go down...

Let me know when you're ready for a ride...

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2007, 09:01:58 PM »
Andrew I was on Hwy 41, between Blanchard and Newport.  

Not really much needed for the bike, I'm going to bend the radiator back enough so the fan doesn't hit it, other than that I'll be picking up new signals and front tire tomorrow.  The bike will be ready again tomorrow, now I just have to get my nerve back, I rode it home from work, I was a nervous wreck most of the way home though.  

Next weekend may still be a possibility for me, I just need to see how my hand/wrist feel, the swelling has gone down, but its still pretty painful to grip anything.  I don't even want to try holding myself up on the bike with the clip-ons at the moment.  I'm going to try and get out on it this weekend, make sure my body/mind is up to it, then I'll let you know for sure about meeting up.

I'm pretty amazed I didn't go down myself, the deer hitting the bike put me in a pretty good tank slapper.  This experience has changed my whole outlook on playing around on some of the finer roads here in Idaho.  No more playing unless I can see 20-30 ft on both sides of the road.

I don't know how I missed seeing it, I glanced down at my guages to check my speed when I looked back up all I could see was a deer making the this is gonna hurt face.
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400