Author Topic: Clutch cable  (Read 5132 times)

Offline billybandit

• Board Homesteader!
Clutch cable
« on: April 05, 2006, 01:33:02 PM »
Mines started feeling pretty heavy, adjusting it hasn't done much.

Want a new one but can't seem to find one (new, not 2nd hand)

Any other models share the same clutch cable?

Thanks

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Clutch cable
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 05:00:49 PM »
How about a B4 or maybe an Across. Just guessing though.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline olsonm3915

• Board Regular!
Re: Clutch cable
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 01:22:24 PM »
I realize I am replying to an old thread but hopefully it will pop up to the top of the listings anyway.  I can answer the question about what other models of clutch cable will work since I just had to replace the clutch cable on my 1992 GSF400N.  The short answer is that the Motion Pro cable for the 1st generation naked SV650 ('99 - '02) appears to be EXACTLY the same size as the OEM Bandit 400 cable.  The only difference is the OEM cable has two heavy rubber protective sleeves on it, where the Motion Pro cable has a thinner protective cover over the outer sheath that goes all the way from one end to the other.  The Motion Pro cable also does not have the rubber boot that covers up the threaded fitting on the lower end but I was able to transfer that to the new cable by using some dielectric grease to ease it over the fitting.  From my maintenance log:

Replaced clutch cable with one meant for a 1st generation (1999-2002)
SV650 naked , Dennis Kirk P/N 19-6047, Motion Pro P/N 04-0220, $17.99.
Fit is perfect, no discernible difference to the GSF400N original cable
other than missing extra protective sheath and rubber boot on end,
transferred boot to new cable. 

Take note that the dimensions given for this cable on the Dennis Kirk website are not correct!  I was lucky to find a site online[1] with pictures of an SV clutch cable replacement which gave me enough information re: dimensions that I was confident that it would fit the 400.  I already knew that the SV and the GSF400 share the same clutch lever so I figured the lever and perch would take up about the same amount of cable on the top, and the bottom end pictures of the SV cable measured out almost exactly the same as the Bandit 400.  Note that the SV cable comes with two locknuts on the end fitting, where we only need one.  Also note, if you look at the factory fiche drawings for the SV cable, there is what looks like a 45 degree bend in the lower end of the cable, the Motion Pro cable did not have this, which is nice since the Bandit 400 cable is straight there too.  I really have no idea why Motion Pro's application chart[2] does not list this cable as fitting the GSF400.

[1] SV650S clutch cable replacement pictures: http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/svs_clutch_cable/pics/
[2] Motion Pro clutch cables: http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/cables/

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Clutch cable
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 05:26:38 PM »
Great first post!  Thanks! :thumb:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED